Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 01:37 AM

Re: Peeved with Ubuntu

I concur - leaving yourself open with no anti-virus protection is a bit akin to running naked around your neighbourhood and bridal paths - you would be open to abuse and interference at the least!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I concur - leaving yourself open with no anti-virus protection is a bit akin to running naked around your neighbourhood and bridal paths - you would be open to abuse and interference at the least!!
So what's the downside Gumbud?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 10:08 AM

frozen balls? and shrunken spotted dick?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 11:32 AM

As a co incidence the same topic has come up in a closed Google group I belong to of tutors in the government's Broadband for Seniors scheme

This is a cut and paste of an entry that came in today.

I know of at least three people whose ISPs cut them off as
their PCs were sending out Spam. They too had no virus protection and didn't
know they were infected and their PC was being used for non-friendly
purposes. It took me quite a while to clean up their PCs - one was a rebuild
due to root kit infection

cheers
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As a co incidence the same topic has come up in a closed Google group I belong to of tutors in the government's Broadband for Seniors scheme

This is a cut and paste of an entry that came in today.
Fair play Bruce, but three people out of how many using computers? I'd call that good odds. You have more chance winning the lottery, and that will be never.

Just a thought: If someone gets an infected e-mail from someone who has no virus protection then surely, their virus blocker should stop it?
My bank screen all contacts with the best firewall money can buy.
I think they would be a bit peeved if I kept infecting them. So there's your virus checker right there.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Fair play Bruce, but three people out of how many using computers? I'd call that good odds. You have more chance winning the lottery, and that will be never.

Just a thought: If someone gets an infected e-mail from someone who has no virus protection then surely, their virus blocker should stop it?
I got infected because my virus protection said the link was iffy so I trusted the person who sent it - never believed the person I knew in the flesh would send me something that could harm me. Much more wary now and only open what Norton tells me is absolutely safe.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2015, 03:42 PM

Fair play Bruce, but three people out of how many using computers? I'd call that good odds. You have more chance winning the lottery, and that will be never

Thats an absurd comparison. Its not three people out of how many people use computers it's three people known to this one person who use computers and who don't use anti virus. Much shorter odds.

a thought: If someone gets an infected e-mail from someone who has no virus protection then surely, their virus blocker should stop it?
My bank screen all contacts with the best firewall money can buy.
I think they would be a bit peeved if I kept infecting them. So there's your virus checker right there.

Julie has answered the first part of your question.

Firewalls do not stop viruses they stop things/people from outside accessing your computer remotely, they also allow some things in ie web pages that pass a number of criteria. BUT they are not designed to stop viruses but a virus can be designed to defeat firewalls from the inside. Firewalls generally speaking do not stop things inside getting out. (That is not entirely true but close enough)

Your bank will not know nor care if you have a virus their firewall will allow only specific data from you to pass in. That is the point of it, you are not sending them an email you are asking or telling a bank a very limited range of data their firewall will only allow requests it recognises in. Everything else is blocked.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-03-2015, 04:51 PM

Sorry Bruce, with all due respect, I'm so far out of my depth here my hat is floating. You seem to have infinitely more knowledge concerning computers than I, and there is no way I could offer you a valid reason why I do the things I do.
But until BT throw me off their Christmas card list, I will continue to struggle along in the world of cyber space waiting for the next heavy weight to fall upon this empty head of mine.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
So what's the downside Gumbud?
...but seriously, you're not quite alone OldGreyFox. I read of others who don't use a realtime AV program. One reason being that they don't feel they work so well these days. Perhaps some truth in that but these people tend to be a bit knowledgeable and use other programs or measures that most people haven't even heard of. For us though, an AV program is a good thing to have because they protect a computer much better than using nothing. They don't necessarily bog down the system either. Many are fairly light these days. My current realtime AV program uses less than 20MB of RAM.

If you're really against using any such program, perhaps consider being a bit nice to the Internet and run regular scans with the free versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or Hitman Pro. These don't run in realtime on the computer. They are purely on-demand scanners and therefore don't weigh down the system at all.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

27-03-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks Mart, I'll give it a go....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top