Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 10:59 AM

kindle fire tablet

I really hope this isn't a stupid question !

My Vista,laptop updated itself from Windows , don't know what happened but not been able to get on the internet since . So I'm using a kindle fire. I've been thinking ....... do I need some sort of anti virus installed on the kindle fire? If so how, what and when. It seems to me if I'm browsing internet with it I must be at risk the same as when I'm using My laptop.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Re: kindle fire tablet

Had a quick look is this any help ? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lookout-Secu.../dp/B00AQ398AY
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

My Vista,laptop updated itself from Windows , don't know what happened but not been able to get on the internet since . So I'm using a kindle fire. I've been thinking ....... do I need some sort of anti virus installed on the kindle fire? If so how, what and when. It seems to me if I'm browsing internet with it I must be at risk the same as when I'm using My laptop.
As I understand it a Kindle Fire is just a crippled Android tablet so, yes, you should get an anti virus program. They are available from Google Play but it depends on how crippled the Kindle Fire is.

(When I say crippled I mean that Amazon has changed the Android operating system so it can only get books from them. What other features are disabled I don't know but personally I can't understand why anyone would want to buy an Android Tablet that does less than other Android Tablets)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 09:50 AM

Turn off your downloads, they cause more problems than they solve.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 01:28 PM

Thank you all.

Thank you too Julie , will check it out x
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2015, 11:22 PM

My Vista,laptop updated itself from Windows , don't know what happened but not been able to get on the internet since
Recommend you first try a System Restore to put you back to where you were before those updates:

Start - Control Panel - System
Select System Protection
Click on System Restore button
Click Next
You will likely see 1 restore point listed.
Click on the little toggle box labelled "show more restore points" to see a full list.

Pick a restore point that is recent

Then just follow the instructions

This only affects you Windows operating system stuff. You won't lose any personal files or data.

If you have made any changes to Windows things recently then those will be affected. For example if you added more favourites to your browser since those Windows Updates then you'd have to set them up again.

----------

Alternatively . . .

Click on the internet icon bottom right of your screen in the task bar and select Open Network and Sharing centre.

Click Manage Wireless Networks (I'm assuming you were using Wifi)

Double click your wireless network entry

Check through the properties in the pop up window

Make sure the "Connect automatically" box is checked

and also the "connect even if not broadcasting SSID"

Check the password is set up right in the other tab

Save any changes

See if it all bursts into life !

--------

Alternatively . . .

Get an Ethernet cable (you prob got one with your internet router)

Plug you laptop directly into the router and see if that works.
If it does you know the issue is with your Wifi settings.

ATB

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top