Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Re: Bing Fights Back

Thanks Mark I will get it checked out chap in the village looks after mine haven't seen him for a couple of years so anything may have happened !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 10:46 AM

I don't like Bing, perhaps I do things wrong but Bing always gives me mostly American sites which are of no use to me.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Unfortunately this is one of those areas where wealth and power dictate. There will never be any serious opposition/competition to the "Global Search Engine" solution because the "powers that be" (PTB) have the wealth and can therefore achieve more than any competitor. Competing costs a lot of money and any wannabe business is always going to be undercut. The only thing that can/will change is the functionality/usefulness of the search engine and as soon as anyone thinks up and develops a better search engine, then the PTB will buy that company out and absorb that tech. Remember how Google first started. Back then there were a number of search engines including one from Yahoo which then was a well used site esp for emails. Google's product was superior, simpler to use, performed better and so it was absorbed by the PTB and has now grown into a monster which is just part of the overall global control mechanism. Control the internet and you control a lot of other things so the PTB are always going to provide the free search engine that everyone uses.

There is also a lot of flawed thinking out there if people are believing companies like Microsoft and Google are somehow differing powers. That's incredibly naïve imo. MS, Google, Apple, Amazon and a ton of other conglomorates are all part of the collective "PTB" imo. They create the illusion of separate entities just as Lever Brothers create the illusion that you have different washing powders to choose from, when in fact they are pretty much all the same company. Similar to TVs and monitors, regardless of the brand badge the vast majority are actually LG.

Currently, I believe much of the internet world and associated services and applications are just a mix of the main PTB and a lot of other "providers" who exist solely for the purpose of trying to get noticed and who just want to be bought out by the PTB for mega-bucks. There is little intention to actually compete imo.

We live in a fickle "Sell-out" world where the capitalist cronies are all simply looking to get up the ladder. The naïve populous of Sheeple are just fodder to them.

So who cares in the end if your search engine is Google or Microsoft or Apple or some fly-by-night outfit with a great app? It makes no difference. You're still plugging into Big Brother and He is busily watching, archiving and processing absolutely everything you do on the Net. All these free services exist for the purpose of surveillance and data gathering. Google, Facebook, Twitter etc etc. It's just a way to channel or funnel all data traffic through centrally controlled points. Eventually people will realise, but by then it will largely be too late. They will all be "bagged and tagged" and there will exist databases galore with various "flags" against each person which may impact what you can do in the future. It could impact your ability to get a specific job or to join a specific organisation or a particular society or perhaps to get credit or a mortgage and so on. Right now few care because they can't see the writing on the wall, the impending cessation of a private life, the likely roll-out of population ID cataloging via retina scanning, DNA marking or RFI chipping. People are simply lost in and transfixed by the "Matrix" and happily live their lives with complete dependency on the system. I despair at how many people still use their real names and details on forums and sites like Facebook and Twitter.

It will however all come to a head and I predict that it will happen in the next 2 years. There will be one or more huge Twitter and Facebook scandals to make the example. There will be scapegoats and court cases used to convince the populous that "free speech" on the internet is no good and that everything HAS to be monitored and controlled and on the back of that premise they will introduce new laws which will allow them to eradicate anonymity on the Net. At that point you can kiss goodbye to these so called "Private VPN providers" who reckon they can keep you anonymous. It will become illegal for them to offer such a service and as a result they will simply become encryption services aimed at securing your traffic, but the difference will be that all your traffic will be logged as YOUR traffic and they will know who you are (not that they don't already lol).

Ok rant over.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 03:13 PM

I'd choose Google over Bing every time for translating stuff. Bing gives me gobbledegook!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 03:32 PM

Blimey Realist have you taken your anti-paranoid tablets today .

Microsoft sure as hell ain't colluding with Google .

Monopolies are bad. I hope you agree with that? I really think Google should be broken up as it's influence is so incredibly all pervading now. So much power in the hands of the few is extremely worrying. They operate under a cloak of secrecy and employees are not allowed to talk about their practices as each employee has to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Want to complain to Google about something? Where? They do as they want when they want. Completely faceless, blameless and couldn't care less less .

They alter the search algorithm any which way they want and have driven loads of companies to bankruptcy without anyone being able to do anything about it. They literally do as they want.

I mentioned employees. They poach the best minds and keep them all to themselves.

Enough is enough I say and it is time their power was reduced. The trouble is now they have so much power they are nearly untouchable; I say 'nearly' but they can be curtailed by governments if they so wish: I think, maybe, who knows really.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I don't like Bing, perhaps I do things wrong but Bing always gives me mostly American sites which are of no use to me.
There are settings you can alter so your search focuses on the UK.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:10 AM

I know this sounds lazy in the extreme but I want a search engine that knows where I am and does that for me. Google never needs to ask me where I am and I always get the answers I seek. That I think is going to be why they succeed where others don't.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:18 AM

I think it is great to have easy access to an Ordnance Survey map with Bing , I haven't been able to find that on Google.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2015, 11:27 AM

I haven't been using Bing to be honest with you but I'm going to try it. I'm altering my home page to Bing and also making Firefox use Bing as the choice of search engine. What I can see of it there is very little to choose between them but Bing might have the edge for me as the home page offers all sorts of goodies. Anther GREAT thing is I can then stop Google from spying on my search terms.

Bing Home Page ...
https://www.bing.com/?FORM=Z9FD1
(look at the top options that include an online Office Suite!)

Slippery (the word) Bing Search
https://www.bing.com/search?q=slippe...0427a69e1e547d

Slippery (the word) Google Search
https://www.google.co.uk/?hl=en&gws_...=en&q=slippery

Bing looks more than fine to me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-05-2015, 11:30 AM

See I am not too worried if they do look at me, bore 'em to death I would with my searches
Dogs, gluten free, gluten free dogs food, Chihuahuas Labradors yep bore em silly.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top