Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Re: Bing Fights Back

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I haven't been using Bing to be honest with you but I'm going to try it. I'm altering my home page to Bing and also making Firefox use Bing as the choice of search engine. What I can see of it there is very little to choose between them but Bing might have the edge for me as the home page offers all sorts of goodies. Anther GREAT thing is I can then stop Google from spying on my search terms.

Bing Home Page ...
https://www.bing.com/?FORM=Z9FD1
(look at the top options that include an online Office Suite!)

Slippery (the word) Bing Search
https://www.bing.com/search?q=slippe...0427a69e1e547d

Slippery (the word) Google Search
https://www.google.co.uk/?hl=en&gws_...=en&q=slippery

Bing looks more than fine to me.
Thanks Mark I will have a look at those options later .
I must say I do find Google is becoming more and more intrusive ...
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
See I am not too worried if they do look at me, bore 'em to death I would with my searches
Dogs, gluten free, gluten free dogs food, Chihuahuas Labradors yep bore em silly.
I absolutely hate having targeted adverts everywhere I go. I mention something to someone and search for it and bingo all the adverts I see wherever I go are tailored to suit. I find it incredibly intrusive and downright creepy. 'Turn it off' you say? Yeah, right. A right pain and quite well hidden; or at least it was the last time I looked in to the matter.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:38 AM

That's where an ad blocker works wonders without it DS is impossible to use these days their terrifying pop up speaking ads nearly gave me a heart attack when they started using them now peace and no pop ups at all. And you can turn it off on sites you want to view the ads easily too.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That's where an ad blocker works wonders without it DS is impossible to use these days their terrifying pop up speaking ads nearly gave me a heart attack when they started using them now peace and no pop ups at all. And you can turn it off on sites you want to view the ads easily too.
I like to keep my computers clean so install only the bare minimum. Ad blockers and the like work no-doubt but can hide other problems that might exist.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 11:45 AM

Yes I can see they may not work for everyone.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 12:03 PM

I used Startpage for ages. Not because it is said to be a private search engine but because I liked the presentation of the listings. It started giving me lots of foreign language results though, so I switched to Bing. This was a couple of months ago and I've stayed with it since. I'm happy enough.

I bought some 'Coroline' roof sheeting from B&Q and wondered if Coroline did some lean-to type flashing for it, so I did a search for 'coraline flashing' (misspelt the name). After disregarding pictures of Caroline flashing and listings about Coraline the book, I eventually got the results. Despite misspelling the trade name, Bing managed to guess what I really wanted. Not bad.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

21-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Lol now with google even with misspellings we don't get caroline flashing which with a child using the computer I like. Poor caroline no one wants her
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Anther GREAT thing is I can then stop Google from spying on my search terms.
So let me understand this . . . you think Microsoft won't spy on you in just the same way via Bing???? #fryingpanfire
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2015, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So let me understand this . . . you think Microsoft won't spy on you in just the same way via Bing???? #fryingpanfire
They undoubtedly do but I bet it will put pay to the remarketed adverts ads that follow me around the place. For one thing Google won't be able to get hold of my search terms which drive the damn things. I will still use my Gmail accounts but as I say there will be a lot less info for Google to get it's hands on. As for Bing and re-marketed adverts I should think it won't be anything like as intrusive - if any at all - as it is the Google adsense adverts that bother me. We shall see.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

21-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Thinking about it I might well be wrong with regard to the re-marketed adverts as these are cookie driven but at least Google won't have my searches to figure out certain adverts. I will have to see what happens.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top