Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 01:53 AM

Re: Bing Fights Back

MKJ I have used Bing and Google as search engines, but over the last year have preferred to use Monzilla Fire Fox as a search engine.
I also use Monzilla Thunderbird for my E-mail with the attached calendar.
They are all excellent free products and offer free upgrades.
Wood not like to be without them.
KnickerFarage
London
KnickerFarage is female  KnickerFarage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Unfortunately this is one of those areas where wealth and power dictate.

<big snip>
my god, you could bore for england!
KnickerFarage
London
KnickerFarage is female  KnickerFarage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think bing is a bit of a bully, I have uninstalled it many times but it still pops up on my home page, google may be many things but if you don't want to use it you avoid it entirely.
It's awfully slow and doesn't give me the results I am expecting so I usually end up googling anyway
do a search on this there are plenty of references telling you how to remove it

you could also download 'smart tool bar remover'

and

download 'pcdecrapifier'

they both help tidy up your computer and remove crap that manufacturers and software downloads install on your computer
KnickerFarage
London

22-05-2015, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Water Dragon ->
MKJ I have used Bing and Google as search engines, but over the last year have preferred to use Monzilla Fire Fox as a search engine.
I also use Monzilla Thunderbird for my E-mail with the attached calendar.
They are all excellent free products and offer free upgrades.
Wood not like to be without them.
sorry to disappoint you but mozilla firefox just rebrands google

but i agree with you about their products
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I absolutely hate having targeted adverts everywhere I go. I mention something to someone and search for it and bingo all the adverts I see wherever I go are tailored to suit. I find it incredibly intrusive and downright creepy. 'Turn it off' you say? Yeah, right. A right pain and quite well hidden; or at least it was the last time I looked in to the matter.
It's pretty simple to get rid of most of these but obviously from time to time one has to keep on top of it.

Browser Changes - IE
==============

In Internet Explorer go to Tools-Internet Options, click on the Security Tab, Click the Restricted Sites icon, click on the Sites button.

Add the following entries into the list of sites:

*.doubleclick.net
*.googleadservices.com
*.msn.com
http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net
www.facebook.com (if you want to block FB tracking of all you do whether u are a member or not)
www.google-analytics.com

Equally in the Privacy Tab, under Sites I have the following listed:

doubleclick.net
facebook.com
google-analytics.com
msn.com

Turn Off Java Scripting
==============

The absolute biggest and quickest way to stop 99% of adverts and crap is to turn off Java Scripting. This prevents programmed code running when you open websites.

Simple to do.

In Tools-Internet Options go to Security Tab and press the Custom Level button. Scroll down the long list of setting options to the bottom. Then scroll back up just a little to the top of the section called "Scripting". Just below that there is an "Active Scripting" section and in there just select DISABLE.

You can always come back here and click ENABLE if needed.

The impact to your browsing will be dramatic. Everything will load very much quicker and where all the banners and adds were previously being displayed there will be nothing.

The down side to this is that some functionality of the web pages may not work because often site make use of Java Scripting for some features. So you might find that some buttons don't work or some drop down selections don't work.

For casual browsing and surfing I recommend you always have Java Scripting disabled.

Whenever you need to seriously use a site, such as your online banking site or a site to purchase something, then go back into internet options and re-enable scripting temporarily.

Really simple. Perhaps a nuisance, but then they design these things that way so you will cave in accept the adverts and privacy invasions. Your choice.

FIREWALL CHANGES
=============

The belt and braces and absolute "force field" for most of the spam and adverts and other crap is to very simply get hold of the site IP Addresses and add those into your firewall to be blocked.

However to do this you need to be familiar with your firewall and know the IP Addresses. I have a long list of IP's that are blocked in mine. As a result I get no popups, pretty much no adverts, and if I inadvertently hit the BACK button on my browser and a website has hijacked that to send me to some spam site, I am fine.

I have most of Google's IP's blocked except those applicable to Google itself, email and Maps. I have all of Facebook blocked period as they are tracking everything. Every website that has the little Facebook "Like" icon/widget on it is tracking your movements. I am now immune from such tracking. If you want a list of IPs to block let me know.

Good Luck
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 02:08 PM

You sure are an intense guy .

I have over 200 of my own websites to run so I need to see how they work and react so I always need javascript to run.

Blocking all sorts of ips and the like might well cause me issues in ways I haven't thought of.

Using Bing has stopped the search targeted ads from appearing so everything is as I want now it seems.

Thanks for the above though.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 02:56 PM

I'm thorough that's for sure !

As a minimum and for a quick fix I would say defo put these in your restricted sites list:

*.doubleclick.net
*.googleadservices.com
http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net
www.google-analytics.com

These are responsible for a great many of the pops, banners and other targeted ads.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by KnickerFarage ->
do a search on this there are plenty of references telling you how to remove it

you could also download 'smart tool bar remover'

and

download 'pcdecrapifier'

they both help tidy up your computer and remove crap that manufacturers and software downloads install on your computer
I have booked my laptop in for net week with the nice man in the village who looks after mine, he will tidy it all up for me safely.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top