Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
kim1961
Herefordshire
kim1961 is female  kim1961 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 11:33 AM

Laptop

Hi everyone

Hope you're all well

I need to buy a new laptop for my 17 year old daughter. No gaming but she uses Microsoft Office and social networking, plays music and so forth.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Kim xx
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 05:13 PM

Re: Laptop

Kim;if it would be of use,I have an Acer 'notebook' [10.1" screen] that is duel-boot W7 and Linux Zorin. I used it when running around the continent as it was the perfect size for a truck. It's in perfect condition,I was actually just about to start taking photos of it ready to place it on ebay. It has 250gb HDD & 4GB ram,which is plenty+,for running Office and Fb etc. I was going to ask £75+postage. Would you be interested? If so,drop me a pm and I'll get some photos to you. {In case you aren't familiar,Zorin is a W7 'mirror'-but without the constant security updates and adverts...and it's virtually impenetrable to viruses. Personally,I think Linux Zorin is an excellent o/s} The ONLY reason I'm putting it up for sale is that now I'm running UK-only,I'm using a 'Gateway' notebook...also running duel W7/Zorin. I have no use for two. Pug
kim1961
Herefordshire
kim1961 is female  kim1961 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 10:43 PM

Hi Pug and thank you so very much. Unfortunately Missie will want new. Its to be a birthday present.

But I do very much appreciate your offer
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 11:40 PM

I haven't a clue about Laptops Kim my son always buys mine after reading all the reviews.

This one is a Dell Inspiron and the only drawback for me is it isn't backlit . Other than that it is great.

My last three PCs have been Dell, this is the first one I have had from new .

ETA have you tried reading all the reviews on Amazon , I usually do when buying anything new and other reviews too.
kim1961
Herefordshire

25-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Hi Meg and thank you. A couple of friends have recommended Dell

I'm a great one for reviews and research...I love Amazon and M and S for their reviews! Sometimes they're very funny!

Before I can start really looking for this blasted laptop (!!) though, I need to know what my daughter needs and I'm not sure....for example...

An Intel core i5 or an i7... or something else....which processor is best?

How much RAM?

I'm a bit confused tbh....as you can see

Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 08:28 AM

I agree with Meg: read reviews on Amazon. It's difficult to recommend any particular machine. Personally I have a Samsung and I love it! Mum loved it so much we went straight out afterwards and got her the same. My older sister chose it as a large item out of Mum's belongings when she died and she too is very happy with it.

When choosing I'd say go for the biggest RAM available and possibly the biggest storage space. The make comes down to a matter of personal choice.

Look at reviews on how the keyboard feels when using it.

Most machines nowadays come with trial versions of software installed so that's not really a marker for choosing, as you can get round this by installing free products of most things.

Have a walk round Currys PC World and just examine each model as you go. (I wouldn't bother asking the assistants anything...just go with your gut feeling or online reviews.)

Hope you end up with something nice for her.

ETA. Also Microsoft Office is installed on trial and it costs to buy the software (either a one year licence or an unlimited version - be warned...check the box if you buy this!!!!!). However she can get round this by having a Hotmail or Outlook email account which gives access to a limited version - but crucially free - of Office, plus Cloud storage.

In this case, I'd go for a good sized screen rather than a netbook as the small screen isn't comfortable or ideal for working on documents/spreadsheets etc. My netbook has a limited version and I hate it as I have an unwanted column of text on the side, and it's in the way.
kim1961
Herefordshire

25-05-2015, 08:31 AM

Thanks Jazzi, great advice
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by kim1961 ->
Thanks Jazzi, great advice
Hi Kim, I've edited my post to add about Office.
kim1961
Herefordshire

25-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Thanks again. She'll need the full MO package as she'll need publisher too..so that expense has to be factored in. Last time ( 4 years ago) I used Software for Students, but I think that's not offered by Microsoft any more.
Sableline
Durham,uk
Sableline is male  Sableline has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2015, 09:48 AM

I think the best idea is to let the young decide what they need themselves. They are more computer savvy than many of us oldie's. Even my eight year old grand daughter knows more than I do. Everyone has their own taste includes computers too. Drop an e mail to PC world they will give good impartial advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top