Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Mobility scooters

Been reading up on these as I may need one soon...It appears that the class 3... 8mph can be used on the road but need to be registered with the DVLA and need to be insured.
This is rarely mentioned by the sellers.

As for two seater scooters,they are openly on sale in the UK...but are totally illegal to use on British pavements OR roads...So why are they on sale?

80,000 scooters were sold in the UK last year...isn't it about time this confusion was properly legislated.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Re: Mobility scooters

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Been reading up on these as I may need one soon...It appears that the class 3... 8mph can be used on the road but need to be registered with the DVLA and need to be insured.
This is rarely mentioned by the sellers.

As for two seater scooters,they are openly on sale in the UK...but are totally illegal to use on British pavements OR roads...So why are they on sale?

80,000 scooters were sold in the UK last year...isn't it about time this confusion was properly legislated.
so where CAN they be used?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:09 PM

The ones I have seen on the roads also have lights and a waterproof top that pulls right over. There are lots of things to consider such as size, speed, battery life etc. I wonder if it would be worth you hiring one for a while to see which suits you best.

I don't know your circumstances but you might even qualify for some help towards it.

https://www.bettermobility.co.uk/cha...ng_options.php

https://www.motability.co.uk/
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:41 PM

A lot of people are under the impression that you have to be either disabled and a blue badge holder to use a mobility scooter. This is not so, Anyone can use one disabled or not.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:49 PM

I didn't know that.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
A lot of people are under the impression that you have to be either disabled and a blue badge holder to use a mobility scooter. This is not so, Anyone can use one disabled or not.
I.ve seen people using them who aren't disabled especially at seaside . I m not sure why you would want to use one if you are able bodied. I m sure disabled people would love to not have to use one .
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 03:46 PM

I agree with you but what I am saying is that you do not have to have a disability badge to use one as a lot of people think The fittest person in the Kingdom can use one if they like.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 03:52 PM

my next door neighbour hired one as he had operations on his legs and had trouble walking until most of the problems had cleared up.
Let me tell you do NOT try and be a Stirling Moss in one. He did and quickly wore out the tyres doing fast corners etc and he is well into his 70's
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I.ve seen people using them who aren't disabled especially at seaside . I m not sure why you would want to use one if you are able bodied. I m sure disabled people would love to not have to use one .
I suppose it's a good way of getting around and you don't have to pay for parking. Makes sense really.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 08:52 PM

I had my fill of mobility scooters with my late wife. She had 4 all at the same time. Don’t ask me to explain why.
I have seen these 2 seat ones and they are huge. The way they wiz along could be painful if you got in the way of one. Most of these mobility scooters are almost silent, so you don’t hear them coming.
I have a 2 wheeled scooter that has a seat and I wonder if I could get above the law if I were to use it and say it is for my lack of mobility ( thankfully I am not).
I suppose most of you would have heard recently the hoo ha about the kids ones and their use on pavements and roads. Tricky one for the mobility ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top