Join for free
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 11:36 AM

Driving licence Renewal

I will be 70 in January and will have to renew my driving licence before then. I believe one can do it on-line up to 90 days before one's 70th birthday. Has anyone done it recently, I would be grateful if they could explain the process?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 11:55 AM

Re: Driving licence Renewal

You will be contacted by the DVLA two to three months before your birthday with all the info that you'll need.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You will be contacted by the DVLA two to three months before your birthday with all the info that you'll need.
Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Tara I renewed my licence last year having had a paper licence since 1977. It was easy doing it online but as I don't have a current passport the hardest part was getting a suitable person to sign it ...one of the below....

The person signing the form and photo must:
hold a valid GB photocard driving licence
be resident in the UK
know you personally
not be a relative
not be living at the same address as you

Suitable people include a current or retired:
local business person or shopkeeper
librarian
professionally qualified person, for example a lawyer, teacher or engineer
police officer
bank or building society staff member
civil servant
minister of religion
magistrate
local councillor
Member of Parliament, Assembly Member, Member of the Scottish Parliament or Member of the European Parliament
As a semi hermit I don't have contact with many people these days and having retired over 10 years ago lost contact with work colleagues who would have suited the criteria. I can't say professional people with whom I am acquainted 'know me personally' so that lets them out .
I got my neighbour to sign it , she is retired but was a senior warden in a sheltered housing complex with an unblemished reputation, the licence was returned as she was deemed to be unsuitable

In the end, I got it signed by a retired Accountant but he put the wrong date adding his date of birth instead of the days date but miraculously this got through.

When I consider I don't have any penalty points or driving convictions and some youngsters don't seem to bother with a licence at all the rules of identification seem a little excessive for the elderly.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Easier if your old licence was a Photo one.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2019, 02:55 PM

If your of Pension Age you can use a Bank Statement showing the Pension going into your account.
Scroll down a wee bit and it's there.

https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top