Join for free
Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Re: Flooding.....

A bad situation for many by the sounds of it Foxy.

I didn't see you floating past in your bed last night, so guessed you were OK.
Stay safe.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 12:05 PM

Hi

A couple of points about the role of Councils in flooding.

Deregulation again.

Councils cannot object them selves to houses being built on floodplains, thet is now the Environment agency.

Councils can refuse if the EA objects, but there is now a presumption in favour of Development.

If the application is refused, it goes to the Planning Inspectorate, which is Government not Council.

These appeals are frequently granted and the Councils then have to pay the costs.

These costs can be huge.

Flood Defences are Environment Agency, not Councils.

The amount the EA can spend each year is controlled by Central Government, it is not unlimited.

Any schemes the EA wants have to meet a Cost Benefit Analysis controlled by the Treasury.

The London and South East has much higher property prices, so this is where the money is spent.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A couple of points about the role of Councils in flooding.

Deregulation again.

Councils cannot object them selves to houses being built on floodplains, thet is now the Environment agency.

Councils can refuse if the EA objects, but there is now a presumption in favour of Development.

If the application is refused, it goes to the Planning Inspectorate, which is Government not Council.

These appeals are frequently granted and the Councils then have to pay the costs.

These costs can be huge.

Flood Defences are Environment Agency, not Councils.

The amount the EA can spend each year is controlled by Central Government, it is not unlimited.

Any schemes the EA wants have to meet a Cost Benefit Analysis controlled by the Treasury.

The London and South East has much higher property prices, so this is where the money is spent.
Yes, I kinda thought that Swim, I do believe that our council has been overridden by the government on several occasions....

A Dutch engineer (Vermuyden) was responsible for all the flood defences round here. He produced arable farm land and protected buildings on what once was regularly flooded marsh land.
He was a hero of the day, and many buildings and schools were named after him.

His work and design has served this area well over the years and continues to protect the inhabited parts of Barnby Dun and Stainforth, but I believe that with a changing climate flooding will become a major problem, and there has to be a limit on how much money can be thrown at protection from natural occurrences. I don't believe that some people can actually grasp the huge and unstoppable power of nature...Including the 'Man Made climate change brigade'
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:18 PM

Glad to hear you weren't affected Foxy.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:23 PM

It looks bad up there Bob, I feel sorry for those people who have had their homes flooded, I just can’t imagine what it must feel like.

Glad to hear your home wasn’t affected.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It looks bad up there Bob, I feel sorry for those people who have had their homes flooded, I just can’t imagine what it must feel like.

Glad to hear your home wasn’t affected.
I suppose, as usual, they will have to wait months for their insurance to pay up (if at all).
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Foxy

I don't know where you live in South Yorkshire. Where we are, one of the parks was like a lake and a couple of our neighbours advised us not to go there. Other than drains overflowing, we were not adversely affected.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Foxy

I don't know where you live in South Yorkshire. Where we are, one of the parks was like a lake and a couple of our neighbours advised us not to go there. Other than drains overflowing, we were not adversely affected.
I thought you both lived near Doncaster. Haven't you met up by now?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 02:41 PM

I have never seen the floods this bad in Derbyshire my niece and her boys are cut off in their little village but the house is not flooded thankfully, it is up for sale at the moment.

My sister says they have just pulled a womans body from the water .

My cousins bungalow is badly flooded.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Just watched the news on TV. I'm thinking of you all . Its dreadful. OGF hope all is well.with you and yours .

Poor people

Page 4 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top