Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 04:57 PM

Re: Flooding.....

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have never seen the floods this bad in Derbyshire my niece and her boys are cut off in their little village but the house is not flooded thankfully, it is up for sale at the moment.

My sister says they have just pulled a womans body from the water

My cousins bungalow is badly flooded.

I just heard a bit about that on the car radio, Meg.
Hope your family stay safe.

I can't help but wonder what happens to the animals in fields too? All the sheep, cattle, horses etc, let alone the wild creatures.
Are the sheep near you taken inside, Meg?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I can't help but wonder what happens to the animals in fields too? All the sheep, cattle, horses etc, let alone the wild creatures.
Hi Mups in Worcestershire we are used to floods and I get surrounded by water but not up to the house. Some farmers move their stock if they have enough warning.

My sister is older than me 75 and has never seen Darley Dale flood as badly as this even when the snow in the hills melted.
I blame it on building on the flood plains, nowhere for the water to go.
It makes me so sad when I go back to my old home in Derbyshire so may fields built on and trees felled such a beautiful place spoilt.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have never seen the floods this bad in Derbyshire my niece and her boys are cut off in their little village but the house is not flooded thankfully, it is up for sale at the moment.

My sister says they have just pulled a womans body from the water .

My cousins bungalow is badly flooded.
Sorry to hear that Meg. what a nightmare for all involved.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Sorry to hear that Meg. what a nightmare for all involved.
Meg, that is awful & yes, why do they have to build on flood plains, it's stupid.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I always wonder about that too Mups. No doubt they save the cattle etc when possible but all the wild creatures must perish. There was a man on TV who's goldfish had all been swept away and I doubt they will survive. There was another man who took all his chickens in because chickens cannot swim apparently.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I always wonder about that too Mups. No doubt they save the cattle etc when possible but all the wild creatures must perish. There was a man on TV who's goldfish had all been swept away and I doubt they will survive. There was another man who took all his chickens in because chickens cannot swim apparently.
That was on the news earlier, they were all in his house. I had to smile.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tiffany ->
that was on the news earlier, they were all in his house. I had to smile.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I thought you both lived near Doncaster. Haven't you met up by now?
He could treat me and my missus to lunch...............
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
And yet builders still build houses on flood plains which nature intended to absorb water. Council should not allowed building in these areas
Yes, and then they blame it all on Global Warming!

There is also the fact that money is saved by not dredging the waterways.

Time some councils were taken to court?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2019, 10:32 PM

Had a drive past the river Don this afternoon on some backroads that hadn't been closed yet.....
Here, we are on the road beside, and below the river which is now spilling over the pilings and across the road.....

I had to take this picture from the car as the water was around six inch deep on the road.....

After we reached the end of the pilings the river was pouring over the bank and becoming a bit frightening.....Time to move on.....

Looking back as we drove away, you can see several places where the banks had been breached...The river is allowed to flood this side, apart from the odd farm it's mainly arable land. Doncaster lies on the other side of the river and the banks are a little higher.

No way back home this way, the bridge was closed to vehicles but not to runners hopefully. This bridge is on my regular Sunday route....

Looking upstream today......

And this is what the river normally looks like upstream from the same location....

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top