Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:17 PM

Re: Vertigo ... or BPPV

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Morti, my poor piggy.

I will be serious, because I know how really horrible this condition is, as I had it several years ago myself.

I just got up one morning, and went to walk across the bedroom, then suddenly everthing moved and I crashed into the bedroom door and promply slid down the wall and hit the floor.
Quick as that. I was fine when I went to bed.

I remember trying do my exercise class, but when it was time to go home I couldn't get off the floor. People helped me up and I went straight to the doctors.

I was desperate by then, and very firghtened. I couldn't even get on his couch without him holding on to me, as everything round me was moving and spinning.
He said straightaway that it was BPPV, which meant not a thing to me.
He said he knew it was this because my eyes were constantly flickering from side to side - which I wasn't aware of myself.

Apparently it is because the eyes are all over the place and won't stay still, that causes us to lose balance, as we can't focus on anything. The giddiness makes some people very very nauseous too, but I didn't get the sickness with it.

I remember hanging on to walls and work tops at home, or else crawling on all fours if I felt particularly off balance. I remember actually seeing the floor rising up in front of me, like being on a ship in stormy seas and the deck comes up to meet you!

Had I had more knowledge - and sense - at the time, I would have asked the doc if there was anyone there who was trained in the Epley Manoeuvre, but I didn't know about it, and neither did he suggest it to me.

All he did for me was give me some anti-sickness pills, like travel sickness pills they were, and told me to rest.
You're a bit stuffed when you live on your own and can't do anything though!

It eventually went on its own. It got less severe, and happened less often until after about 3 weeks it went away.

I will try and dig out the old info he gave me and let you know if I can find anything useful for you.

Meantime, I just found this video that seems to expain how you perform do this manoeuvre for yourself, but I cannot in all honestly say if it works or not, as I haven't tried it, but have a look and then decide.
Might be safer to have Mr. Piggy with you to make sure you are safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SLm76jQg3g

Good luck my friend, keep safe, and really hope you find a way round this soon.

P.S. I take it you have been to the doctors?

P.P.S. Get Mr. Piggy to see if your eyes are eyes are flickering, Mort.
I like that video link you posted Mups
It seems to work on the same principle as the exercises I been told to do. Shake the rogue crystals around in your inner canal ... (along with a few loose brain cells).

The doctor checked my eyes and had me walk a straight line toe to heel, which I struggled with.
Oddly, doing the exercises has altered the vertigo.
At first I got vertigo when I lay down on my right side .. never my left..... but now, it's when I sit up upright, after and not during lying on my right side.

Afterwards it can take up to half an hour to stop feeling sick.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think my theory can be hit on the head!

Morti, l am sorry that you are suffering. I hope you can get some respite from it all.
Thanks ... after reading some of the posts on here I feel kinda comforted. That's what I love about forums ... gain by sharing the pain.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Thanks ... after reading some of the posts on here I feel kinda comforted. That's what I love about forums ... gain by sharing the pain.

That can be very true, Mort. Sometimes it helps to share.

Hope you it rights itself again soon. x
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2019, 10:32 PM

Someone once said to me, ‘We all get something in our later years’. So when l get something, I remember that! It doesn’t exactly help but l suppose, it is true!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 09:19 AM

Funny you should say that. I never thought about my aneurysm as it was a year ago now..... but ...immediately after it I did find my balance was a little suspect and I listed to the left a bit when walking not unlike a wonky shopping trolley which has it's own idea of which direction to go no matter which way you push it.

Vitamin D? I'll investigate that Twink ... it's always worth looking out for anything that can help or alleviate it. I have got rather brittle nails too .. and seem to have got prone to ridges in them of late.
Morty, brittle nails with ridges in them are often a sign of low Vitamin D....I know I can't get rid of mine now! Lack of sun is one of the main causes & I doubt that you have been doing much nude sunbathing on the patio recently!

I really hope they can find what is causing the problem, so you can get some relief, and I am sure that, like me, many people are glad to see you posting again.

Please send me a pm to let me know your Vit D results because I take supplements every day now, and I may know where you can get them. In the early stages a high dose works well & I can tell you where to get them. The ones from Boots were as much use as a chocolate fireguard!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 10:28 AM

I found the nail ridges can be for lots of reasons, including B-Comlex and Iron needed, or sometimes it can even be just a natural ageing process.

Here's what Dr. Google says:

Fingernails are made by living skin cells in your fingers. So a skin condition such as eczema may lead to fingernail ridges. Skin dryness can also cause these ridges. If your body is low in protein, calcium, zinc, or vitamin A, a deficiency can sometimes be revealed by ridges in your fingernails.

Something else to look forward to in our dotage.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2019, 03:16 PM

Morticia I would never take a GP's diagnosis on something like this .
You can ask to see an ENT consultant you know who can perform the caloric reflex test, sometimes termed 'vestibular caloric stimulation'.
This is a test of the vestibulo-ocular reflex that involves irrigating cold or warm water or air into the external auditory canal.
This method was developed by Robert Bárány who won a Nobel prize in 1914 for this discovery by the way .
Has Meniere's syndrome / disease been mentioned by the way ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2019, 04:43 PM

Sorry to hear you are suffering from this Morty

Had it myself a few times, it's just horrible. Once had it just as I walked through the door of my parents house. Had to just crumple onto the welcome mat and then very slowly crawl along the carpet down the hallway to the living room and struggle onto the couch.

I have always used the EPLEY MANOUVER for this rather than Brandt Dorf. All the various manouvers are similar I guess but this one seemed to help though it's horrible going through it.

Instructions:

Epley Maneuver

If your vertigo comes from your left ear and side:

1.Sit on the edge of your bed. Turn your head 45 degrees to the left (not as far as your left shoulder). Place a pillow under you so when you lie down, it rests between your shoulders rather than under your head.

2.Quickly lie down on your back, with your head on the bed (still at the 45-degree angle). The pillow should be under your shoulders. Wait 30 seconds (for any vertigo to stop).

3.Turn your head halfway (90 degrees) to the right without raising it. Wait 30 seconds.

4.Turn your head and body on its side to the right, so you're looking at the floor. Wait 30 seconds.

5.Slowly sit up, but remain on the bed a few minutes.

6.If the vertigo comes from your right ear, reverse these instructions. Sit on your bed, turn your head 45 degrees to the right, and so on.

Do these movements three times before going to bed each night, until you've gone 24 hours without dizziness.

Obv reverse directions if its the right ear

The IMPORTANT part of this is to ensure your head is tilted back a little when you first go down (hence the pillow under the shoulders). I actually don't use a pillow at all. When I lie back my head is over the edge of the bed. This helps when you get to the last part where you are pointing to the floor.

Overall this kind of vertigo can be the result of an infected inner ear. You should be able to feel an awkwardness in your ear if so. Have you been swimming or done anything else to get an inner ear infection?

If it is an infection then antibiotics should help clear it.

If not then keep doing the manouvers to clear the crystals.

I know that drinking fresh lime juice in water helps dissolve the crystals that cause painful gout conditions. Whether it would have any effect on crystals in the ear I don't know but would cause no harm and the Vitamin C would help with any infection.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2020, 11:59 AM

Had a second Epply manoeuvre with physio last week, it seems to have worked this time.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top