Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Re: Paying into a.n.other’s bank account

There must be a way of paying cash into a bank, it's done all the time. The problem comes when paying cash into an account that is not your own so there's a risk of it coming under the money laundering regulations. Once initially paying the cash in is sorted out, whatever the reason, then it becomes a transfer of money via the usual methods, BACS or CHAPS or cheque. The first one is free when done online yourself but both may be services that are charged for by the bank. I know CHAPS payments are not free of charge and used to be expensive. Cheques for many people these days are no longer, due to the way technology has developed, payments via BACS online are almost instant nowadays if made before 10.00am. I've both made and received payments via BACS and found it works really well.

More information on this and the problems being caused can be found on the links below:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-accounts.html

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/05...-your-account/
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Baz yes , those links are some reports I read .
I'm not sure yet in my case of the recipient's bank I want to put cash into.

I remember well tho when I could pay cash over the counter into details provided by Help4Heroes for donations .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Mrs Fox asked me to pay her visa over the counter in Nationwide (her bank) while I was in town. They wouldn't let me do it. Said I had to pay it into my own account (Yorkshire Bank) and it would be taken out of my account and transferred to her account at Nationwide....What a palava Zuleika....But it's the only way.....
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 01:11 PM

Thanks OGF . So you had to wander wherever to Yorkshire Bank ? Pay the money in ?
Now , was the Visa transaction done on the spot there by a cashier ?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
You would have to know the recipient’s postal address to do that anyway .
Why would you ever even think about sending money to someone (or some business) whose physical address you didn't know.

If any recipient ever refuses to give their physical address to me then I don't do business with them.
Zuleika
North West UK

26-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Why would you ever even think about sending money to someone (or some business) whose physical address you didn't know.

If any recipient ever refuses to give their physical address to me then I don't do business with them.
It's someone I know personally but for reasons of their own has moved to another area of the UK and for the time being they don't want the new address to be known .I respect their wishes .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Mrs Fox asked me to pay her visa over the counter in Nationwide (her bank) while I was in town. They wouldn't let me do it. Said I had to pay it into my own account (Yorkshire Bank) and it would be taken out of my account and transferred to her account at Nationwide....What a palava Zuleika....But it's the only way.....
Foxy, A similar thing happened to me. My daughter had some cash she needed to bank. l said, l was going into town and l would pay it into her bank account. We both have accounts in the same bank.

When l tried to pay it into her account it was refused and l was told to pay the money into my account and then transfer it into her account.
I said, it was ridiculous for such a small amount but the cashier said it was to do with money laundering and all the banks were doing the same now.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Thanks OGF . So you had to wander wherever to Yorkshire Bank ? Pay the money in ?
Now , was the Visa transaction done on the spot there by a cashier ?
Yes it was instant Zuleika, I checked my account on the internet when I got home and the money had been debited and credited at the same time and it didn't cost anything either....

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Foxy, A similar thing happened to me. My daughter had some cash she needed to bank. l said, l was going into town and l would pay it into her bank account. We both have accounts in the same bank.

When l tried to pay it into her account it was refused and l was told to pay the money into my account and then transfer it into her account.
I said, it was ridiculous for such a small amount but the cashier said it was to do with money laundering and all the banks were doing the same now.
I think I'll go back to using cash Arty, this banking business is creating more hurdles than the Olympics....Every time I try to do something all the rules have changed and it seems everyone else has access to my money (British Gas, Yorkshire Water and BT etc) than me.....They just spirit out a few quid when they feel like it with no problems....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2019, 02:58 PM

Baz yes , those links are some reports I read .
I'm not sure yet in my case of the recipient's bank I want to put cash into.

I remember well tho when I could pay cash over the counter into details provided by Help4Heroes for donations .
If you have the sort code (usually three pairs of numbers separated either by a word space but usually by a hyphen) and account number in order to pay in, which I assume you do as you've tried to pay cash in, then you can check out the intended recipient's bank by using the website below.
This will give you that information, bank name and head office location:

https://www.sortcodes.co.uk/sort-code-checker
Zuleika
North West UK

28-12-2019, 07:23 PM

So Baz
..... following on from that advice I deposited cash in person with a teller at my bank .

Then went online to make the transfer . All went well until the final page when I was asked to ring the number given because this was going to a new recipient.
Then because it was the fraud dept. I was asked all manner of questions !!! Did I know the person , why was I making a large transfer being just two of them.
It ended where the agent said she was not going to allow the transaction because she suspected it could be going to a person pretending to be whoever because the sort code of that particular bank wasn't where I said it ought to be in the country . Have you ever heard such a tale?
So furious at this I looked the sort code up myself following your link and guess what ?
I was correct, she was wrong because she was looking at where the XX bank's HQ were, which was way down the UK in Kent, not where that sort code's branch was situated.
Several hours later and with another agent apologising for someone else's mistake after I rang to complain the transaction went through successfully.

But why with the sort code in front of her did X make that mistake sending me into a tizwaz?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top