Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 12:50 PM

Re: ''Velveting'' Meat ready for Stir-Frying.

I'm with Judd on this one.

A new Chinese carry-out opened within the last year in our town. Having heard great reviews, my husband and I really looked forward to our first order, but neither of us liked the consistency of the chicken. It was just as Judd described - soft and slimy.

I have never heard of "velveting" but feel that may have been the cause of the consistency of the chicken.

We're having stir fry this evening and I will try coating the chicken in cornflour first.

Happy Chinese New Year to all!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Any acidic liquid will tenderize your meat. You can get creative and use vinegar, pineapple juice, citrus juice, wine etc. It all depends upon A.) the quality of the beef. The tougher cuts take longer to marinate and tenderize. and B.) the dish you are preparing. If the dish has a tropical aspect to it then pineapple or citrus would work fine. For a beef stew then a mixture of 1 part vinegar to two parts of water OR just a cheap wine will do fine.

Naturally, if you can afford to buy top quality, like a tenderloin then you may not want to tenderize at all.

PS: For the tenderest meat, always cut it across the grain.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
To all those who love stir-frying meals in their Wok's or heavy Frying Pans, I found this really handy tip online that said the secret to Chinese and Indian takeway meals with the soft, tender pieces of stirfried meats is because they are ALWAYS velveted first. This ensures the meat results in a lovely, soft texture that you always enjoy with a takeaway meal.

I confess I haven't done my usual Stir Fry yet but I am definitely going to velvet the meat first when I do. I've already bought my Rice Wine.

Below are the ingredients needed. Just mix together and lay the thinly cut small pieces of meat into it for a minimum of one hour. (even longer is good but a minimum of one hour will get you the result you like). Remove with slotted ladle onto a few sheets of kitchen paper on a plate. Use more kitchen paper to remove excess mixture from the meat.

1 EGG WHITE
1 TABLESPOON RICE WINE
2 TABLESPOONS CORNFLOUR
1 PINCH OF SALT.

Cook as normal.

Happy Stir Frying!
I will forward that to my dear wife if you don't mind??

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top