Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 12:00 AM

10 out of 10 for thoroughness!

Had an appointment at the Hospital Eye Clinic this morning. It was a fascinating experience - beginning by being seen on time - definitely a novelty where our Hospital is concerned! I was seen by four different people.

!st - a delightful Scottish nurse (from Greenock) who gave me the standard eye test - chart and reading card. She also checked my pulse rate and blood pressure.

2nd - an ophthalmic nurse. She flashed coloured lights in my eyes and took photos - didn't like that much because I could see little red 'Zs' running up the walls for quite a time afterward - most disconcerting! - Then she put anaesthetic drops in them - they stung a bit - after which she poked at them with a bit of rubber on a stick (well, that's what it looked like!) to check the pressure. Then - deep joy - drops to dilate the pupils - after which the world went fuzzy round the edges!

2rd - Ophthalmic Consultant - a kindly cat mad person - she shone more bright lights into my eyes - said the cataracts were bad (I had actually noticed that!) and then proceeded to give me all the gory details of the operation - including everything that could go wrong! She asked if I was prone to claustrophobia as my face would be covered up for about 20 mins. I asked how does one operate on something that is covered up? If he is coming under there with me he had better be a Martin Shaw look-a-like - she went all dreamy at that point!

4th - another lovely nurse - this one from Huddersfield - also a cat person. Did a complete health check - allergies, previous illnesses, how many teeth my grandmother had etc., took about 30 mins over it.

From start to finish I was there nearly two hours. The friend who was kind enough to take me had almost over dosed on Costa coffee. Now we play the waiting game - it could be 6 months before anything happens.

We went off and had a delicious Chinese lunch - the best sweet and sour chicken I have ever tasted. Friend's hubby treated us - wasn't that lovely?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 08:24 AM

Re: 10 out of 10 for thoroughness!

Sounds thorough...actually I think the people in the NHS are great it's usually the system let's them down....having to wait six months for the OP is a long time. Glad you had a good experience Tabs.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 10:00 AM

Glad that part is over for you, ST - hopefully not too long till the op itself.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 10:13 AM

That sounds like first class attention Tabby, you couldn’t ask for better than that.

Hopefully they may get a cancellation and you get seen before the six months.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 10:26 AM

Glad they gave you the full works Tabbles, it just beats me how you continue to turn out your works of celebratory art with dodgy blinkers, I couldn't do it even if I had 20/20...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Glad they gave you the full works Tabbles, it just beats me how you continue to turn out your works of celebratory art with dodgy blinkers, I couldn't do it even if I had 20/20...
I have a huge magnifying lamp, Barry, clamps onto a shelf above my work station and can be moved/positioned as needed - a bit like the old 'anglepoise' idea. I would be lost without it!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top