Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 12:15 PM

Re: The Million Women Study.

This is the section of the form that l feel is unnecessary...

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAE64313-48D1-42E0-B4D8-00E2B3ACA393.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	11552  
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 12:31 PM

They are likely to be looking at the impact of lifestyle factors in the development of cancer. Looking at the details of the study it's a collaboration between Cancer Research UK and the NHS. They want to get accurate results so they need to know other contributory factors. They can then get a more accurate estimate of how much impact HRT has had and how much relates to other lifestyle influences.

I was interested in the gas cooker question. This appears to be something they have been researching. Apparently the fumes can cause changes in DNA over time. It can be a factor in respiratory illnesses and development of lungs in children and teenagers. That's scary given the number of gas cookers in the UK. Perhaps it's just incidentally collected by Cancer Research as part of their separate research into the links. They haven't had a major study on this in years so maybe it's planned.

I don't believe either organisation would sell the data for marketing purposes as there are strict laws on data sharing but you should only fill it in if you are comfortable.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Another thing...who is giving out my address as l have moved four times since l received the first questionnaire.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They are likely to be looking at the impact of lifestyle factors in the development of cancer. Looking at the details of the study it's a collaboration between Cancer Research UK and the NHS. They want to get accurate results so they need to know other contributory factors. They can then get a more accurate estimate of how much impact HRT has had and how much relates to other lifestyle influences.

I was interested in the gas cooker question. This appears to be something they have been researching. Apparently the fumes can cause changes in DNA over time. It can be a factor in respiratory illnesses and development of lungs in children and teenagers. That's scary given the number of gas cookers in the UK. Perhaps it's just incidentally collected by Cancer Research as part of their separate research into the links. They haven't had a major study on this in years so maybe it's planned.

I don't believe either organisation would sell the data for marketing purposes as there are strict laws on data sharing but you should only fill it in if you are comfortable.
Annie, Yes, this is why l feel a bit bad about not filling it in as it could help research.
On the other hand, they don’t make me feel confident as to why they need to know some of the stuff they are asking.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 01:00 PM

The study must be linked to your NHS number so when you change GP they have your new address.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Have you ever filled in one of these questionnaires? Would you, if you received one?
You worry me sometimes Arty.

No no no. Straight in the bin.

Don't give out your personal details.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You worry me sometimes Arty.

No no no. Straight in the bin.

Don't give out your personal details.
No need to worry about me, Realist. There’s no flies on me and I haven’t just fallen off the Christmas tree.
I did say, l wasn’t going to fill it in.

We should be more concerned that our private details are being passed around without our permission and that this was sent to me in the first place.
It had my name and postal address and l hadn’t given anyone permission to pass my details on.

I’m also concerned that you got the lurgy! You’re slipping up there!
I’ve avoided it, so l must be doing something right! Touch wood!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-02-2020, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The study must be linked to your NHS number so when you change GP they have your new address.
Annie, l've had the same GP for almost 15 years. I had moved four times since the very first questionnaire, l received.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have I ever received one and would I fill it in?

No, and No.

Too intrusive by half.
Same here, no & no.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2020, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
No need to worry about me, Realist. There’s no flies on me and I haven’t just fallen off the Christmas tree.
I did say, l wasn’t going to fill it in.

We should be more concerned that our private details are being passed around without our permission and that this was sent to me in the first place.
It had my name and postal address and l hadn’t given anyone permission to pass my details on.

I’m also concerned that you got the lurgy! You’re slipping up there!
I’ve avoided it, so l must be doing something right! Touch wood!
How about your registration on the Electoral Roll? There are two ways of doing that, if you don't ensure it's done so as to keep your current address details from being used by anyone, they can easily be passed on. It's something you will have done each time you have moved.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top