Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Re: Is It Possible For Someone To Infiltrate My OFF Account?

Last time I heard about symptoms, like these, it turned out that a neighbour was logging into the man's Router - as there wasn't a safe password set.

The neighbour, presumably, was saving a bit of cash by piggybacking.

If you are using a router, the passwords, to access that router, could be a standard password which you would, hopefully, change during installation.

Also make sure that you don't have "Remote Assistance", switched on anywhere.

I'm assuming that this isn't a problem with The Forum. If there was such a problem I think quite a few would have responded so to your opening message.

Have you any other weird activity on your web use, or on your WiFi?

i.e. Is the forum the only place where you have any sort of funnies?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Last time I heard about symptoms, like these, it turned out that a neighbour was logging into the man's Router - as there wasn't a safe password set.

The neighbour, presumably, was saving a bit of cash by piggybacking.

If you are using a router, the passwords, to access that router, could be a standard password which you would, hopefully, change during installation.

Also make sure that you don't have "Remote Assistance", switched on anywhere.

I'm assuming that this isn't a problem with The Forum. If there was such a problem I think quite a few would have responded so to your opening message.

Have you any other weird activity on your web use, or on your WiFi?

i.e. Is the forum the only place where you have any sort of funnies?
Ted, When you say ‘Remote Assistance’ are you saying my iPad or WiFi could be controlled remotely?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ted, When you say ‘Remote Assistance’ are you saying my iPad or WiFi could be controlled remotely?
Art,

On a Windows 10 PC there is an option, in "Settings/System" which is called "Remote Desktop".

If that has been switched on, it means that someone who is providing support, to you, can take over and run your PC, normally subject to your agreeing that they can.

I don't know if Apple boxes have the same - but they, probably, have something similar.

Another scam is done by those who try to get on to your wifi.

If I click on the WiFi icon (bottom right on W10) I will get a list of all of the WiFi systems of everyone within range of my machine.

Ideally they will all be password protected, like mine.But, if there is one there without a password, or there is a password but it is the one supplied with the Router (& which should be changed because lots of people know it) you have a risk.

If your PC is well protected they, probably, will not be able to get into your data.

But they might be able to mess with your WiFi.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 09:12 PM

I have a cookie filter and the day, time etc is correct.

It’s done it again tonight about 15 mins ago. It slowed down, froze up and logged me off.

I just stay off here now if it happens.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 06:57 AM

I've had that happen to me Art...just logged off for no reason...I just thought it was a glitch of some sort and log back in...yesterday my computer was so slow so I emptied the cache logged off and restarted the puter...it seemed to.work.

Never occurred to me it might be something sinister..
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-02-2020, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I've had that happen to me Art...just logged off for no reason...I just thought it was a glitch of some sort and log back in...yesterday my computer was so slow so I emptied the cache logged off and restarted the puter...it seemed to.work.

Never occurred to me it might be something sinister..
What sort of computer is yours, Summer?

Do you have a router and a signal coming in through it?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 07:56 AM

It's Hewlett Packard I think and yes I have a router with a signal and it's password protected.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top