Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:37 PM

Re: Voltarol Yes or No?

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
My wife has been taking Paracetamol, two tablets four times a day as prescribed by the Doc for around two years. That alone worries me.
It would worry me too, and Paracetamol isn't particularly strong so I'm not surprised that it isn't helping much.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Marge has similar pains in hips and knees and has taken Voltarol among other things.

As far as we know, Voltarol can work well for muscle pain, but not so sure about joint pain like OA.

Marge has tried applications of heat pads and cold pads, sometimes alternating the two. She takes Naproxin and Ibuprofen, although the former is prescription only.
You could see your GP about Naproxin. Worth a try.
This was what I was going to say. I find it really does work on muscle pain and quickly too. Expensive though.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:47 PM

I posted that it says do not use if taking ibrobrfin or asprin etc. take a look at the warning first on the side of the box, see post 7
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I posted that it says do not use if taking ibrobrfin or asprin etc. take a look at the warning first on the side of the box
Likewise...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 10:55 PM

Mags

I gave up taking asprin/paracetamel etc a long time ago, and then it was only for headaches which I no longer get, touch wood. even Voltarol is not often out of the cupboard

Oh and by the way do you know why budges don't eat Asprins?
It is because that's parrots -eat-em- all
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mags

I gave up taking asprin/paracetamel etc a long time ago, and then it was only for headaches which I no longer get, touch wood. even Voltarol is not often out of the cupboard

Oh and by the way do you know why budges don't eat Asprins?
It is because that's parrots -eat-em- all
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Thank you all for your helpful replies. My wife has been taking Paracetamol, two tablets four times a day as prescribed by the Doc for around two years. That alone worries me. So many tablets for such a long time with no end in sight and the pain is so much worse lately. The Doctor, in his infinite wisdom, says "Walk through the pain" Great advice I thought.

EZ, I feel it is soooo wrong that Joan is not getting any more help than she is.
If her knee was x-rayed two years ago, inevitably the initial problem will change and perhaps worsen, as it seems it has.
So what I would be asking is if the condition has changed, why hasn't the medication and prognosis?
As for being told to 'walk through it', I'd have been very angry at that response if I was in a lot of pain.

I think I would start by asking for a new x-ray to see how much the condition had deteriorated.
I would stand firm, and remind him she has been on the maximum doseage of Paracetamol for two whole years now and what is the point in continuing with a medicine that is no longer doing doing the trick!

I would also want to know how they can prescribe a drug before even knowing what the problem is!
It is easy to presume it is the Arthritis because you do know it is there, but what if something else has happened?
What if something has fractured or dislocated or there is a tumour even?
Sorry EZ, I wouldn't scare you for the world, but if Joan is in a lot of pain recently, I would definitely ask (or insist) on another x-ray to see the current situation, then deal with it accordingly.

At the moment from what you say, it seems to me they are just dishing out pills on an old diagnosis, not a current one.
Have you asked for a referral to a Rheumatology consultant?
You might get more sense out of them.

In the meantime, I would buy her a couple of knee supports.

This type is adjustable, and very supportive.

https://essentialwellness.co.uk/prod...SABEgLM-vD_BwE

Good luck.

P.S.

There is also a lot of information here which may be interesting and of help.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

06-02-2020, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
EZ, I feel it is soooo wrong that Joan is not getting any more help than she is.
If her knee was x-rayed two years ago, inevitably the initial problem will change and perhaps worsen, as it seems it has.
So what I would be asking is if the condition has changed, why hasn't the medication and prognosis?
As for being told to 'walk through it', I'd have been very angry at that response if I was in a lot of pain.

I think I would start by asking for a new x-ray to see how much the condition had deteriorated.
I would stand firm, and remind him she has been on the maximum doseage of Paracetamol for two whole years now and what is the point in continuing with a medicine that is no longer doing doing the trick!

I would also want to know how they can prescribe a drug before even knowing what the problem is!
It is easy to presume it is the Arthritis because you do know it is there, but what if something else has happened?
What if something has fractured or dislocated or there is a tumour even?
Sorry EZ, I wouldn't scare you for the world, but if Joan is in a lot of pain recently, I would definitely ask (or insist) on another x-ray to see the current situation, then deal with it accordingly.

At the moment from what you say, it seems to me they are just dishing out pills on an old diagnosis, not a current one.
Have you asked for a referral to a Rheumatology consultant?
You might get more sense out of them.
Hear hear. I'm afraid that with some doctors you have to keep dogging at them and, eventually, they'll get so fed up with you that they'll do anything to get rid of you!

And no, I'm not joking.

Fortunately, we are lucky to have a very good group of doctors. Shame about the receptionists, though!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hear hear. I'm afraid that with some doctors you have to keep dogging at them and, eventually, they'll get so fed up with you that they'll do anything to get rid of you!

And no, I'm not joking.

Fortunately, we are lucky to have a very good group of doctors. Shame about the receptionists, though!

Thank you JBR.
I cannot for the life of me, see the point in them continuing a treatment that is not working any more!

Time it was looked at afresh and Joan received current treatment for the current problem.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 03:06 AM

I always check before taking or using any medication. Some of that type of medication reduces the effects of medication I already take which I had not realised.

Voltarol is also known by another name, diclofenac, so check with your doctor, pharmacist or on the NHS website for side effects it may have with any existing medication you may already be taking:

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/diclofenac/

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top