Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 11:53 AM

Re: Are we heading towards a Police State?

I think I go by the "if you've nothing to hide you have nothing to fear."

There were many people who complained bitterly about CCTV cameras on our streets, saying it was Big Brother and against their civil liberties and the like. How many serious crimes etc have been solved thanks to these cameras? We need more of them and better cameras, on our streets anyway. Not sure about the workplace though!
Puddleduck, who did you work for that they felt the need to install mikes and cameras?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:28 PM

My main concern is the rise in Thought Police.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 12:59 PM

I seem to have spent half my working life being surveyed by cameras, especially as I worked in an environment handling very large sums of cash. So it has never bothered me in the least, except to say that I could never burp, pick my nose or discreetly pass wind as one usually could. Not that I ever would of course!
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I wouldn't worry too much about those facial recognition cameras and computers. They are specially designed to detect wanted criminals. Without out going into a lot of detail, the computers do in micro-seconds what it might take a human to do in hours. When they register a "hit", alarm bells ring and the police and other gov't agencies hit the streets and attempt to arrest the wanted person ie terrorists, thugs and the like.

Yes, all faces are scooped up but unless the face is wanted by the police, the computer ignores them.
But, a tiny tweak could have them looking for "enemies of the state." I don't worry about it.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Is this happening /planned? That is truly shocking PD.

Unlike you I am concerned about selective journalism.
This happened. About 30yrs ago, when my daughter was in primary school.
The school fairy regularly brought in the local bobby to give the children a talk. It happened on one of those occasions. I asked her if it was only her finger prints, and she said no, it was all the children !
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I think I go by the "if you've nothing to hide you have nothing to fear."

There were many people who complained bitterly about CCTV cameras on our streets, saying it was Big Brother and against their civil liberties and the like. How many serious crimes etc have been solved thanks to these cameras? We need more of them and better cameras, on our streets anyway. Not sure about the workplace though!
Puddleduck, who did you work for that they felt the need to install mikes and cameras?
A Ferry Terminal, but it had various add-ons like restaurant, office, information centre, shop ,etc. Everywhere was covered in cameras, microphones where in the ticket offices and others.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I seem to have spent half my working life being surveyed by cameras, especially as I worked in an environment handling very large sums of cash. So it has never bothered me in the least, except to say that I could never burp, pick my nose or discreetly pass wind as one usually could. Not that I ever would of course!
I have seen you on Youtube doing all three.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 04:24 PM

Glanny
N.Ireland

06-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
A Ferry Terminal, but it had various add-ons like restaurant, office, information centre, shop ,etc. Everywhere was covered in cameras, microphones where in the ticket offices and others.

Thanks PD. Can understand the cameras at a ferry terminal for security reasons, wanted peeps doing a runner or unwanteds trying to enter, but microphones as well? Would like to think there must have been a good reason for it!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

06-02-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Thanks PD. Can understand the cameras at a ferry terminal for security reasons, wanted peeps doing a runner or unwanteds trying to enter, but microphones as well? Would like to think there must have been a good reason for it!
It was the microphones that caused the outrage, and the fact that they had been fitted in secret and nobody had been told , including the senior staff. There was absolute mayhem ... the roughy toughy sailors don't stand for such violations , and they removed them !

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top