Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:33 PM

Re: Are we heading towards a Police State?

Originally Posted by Meg ->
As I understand it few journalists hostile to the government have been excluded from the lobby meetings, no one has prevented them from writing what they wish the latter would be the actions of a police state .

Keeping Parliament Square clear of 'pop up demonstrations' has been suggested for many years but has yet to happen. I think it would be no bad thing for many reasons.
Oh I love to see demonstrators in Westminster and other parts of London, they're always good natured.

I know a ER splinter group did some bad stuff last year, and got themselves arrested ... but 90 something percent of them are cute.

Brexit did some small demos over recent years near big ben, at the same time further down by the House of Lords remainers were doing their thing, never any clashes.

Jolly British.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 09:41 PM

I can tell you another also.
This was pre 1990, and my boss was asked to do trials for home shopping by BT.
He was issued with a TV, and control boxes etc. One evening he received a call and was asked to start the trials.
So TV set up and he went through the process as instructed by the person on the phone.
Eventually, he was asked to press a particular button, and she said 'can you hear me'? Yes.. he could. Then asked to press another button and she asked 'can you see me' Yes.. he could. Then he was asked to press a third button and she said 'That's good , I can see you now' .
It might not seem much now as we have Skype and video calls etc. but the most disconcerting thing to him was she could see him in his own front room.
Since then, wide screens have taken over and the thought of a panoramic view into our own privacy is quite daunting. I am quite sure that with all the new technology available, this will be happening now without our knowledge and without 'home shopping'
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 11:02 PM

Lets hope the folks who have done nothing wrong, really have done nothing wrong, depends on the definition of wrong.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2020, 11:06 PM

And are the video observers squeaky clean?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Lets hope the folks who have done nothing wrong, really have done nothing wrong, depends on the definition of wrong.
Obviously the people with access to this information are perfect and would never dream of abusing it. The fact that google cloud recently reportedly leaked private photo albums to strangers was totally unintentional and therefore should be ignored as a minor blip...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 11:05 AM

I think that it is ironic that we talk about a "Police State" in a country which has no police!

A Country where we don't go for Identity Cards even though we have to produce some sort of identifying document even when we have to collect a Parcel at the Post Office.

Et Cetera!

The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 11:13 AM

We have become a country that for a variety of reasons from our virtually open borders to EU legislation has ment that we have the scum of the earth now living along side us and as a result HAVE to have an intrusive police presence.

Now we are out of the loathsome EU and so out of control by the European Commission we can put in motion the changes to our laws and then drain the swamp.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that it is ironic that we talk about a "Police State" in a country which has no police!

A Country where we don't go for Identity Cards even though we have to produce some sort of identifying document even when we have to collect a Parcel at the Post Office.

Et Cetera!

There are still some police around but they are too busy investigating name calling to tackle real crime.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There are still some police around but they are too busy investigating name calling to tackle real crime.
you just read my mind. I was going to say the same thing.

Are we heading to a police state? I don't know, but I do know we are beginning to be policed in our thoughts, if we don't think the way snowflakes want us to think then we are shut down or told we are racist/bad people. I even question my own thoughts these days on some subjects but I know I am not a bad person, I just have different opinions to some. But then, if that makes someone think I'm a bad person then so be it, I don't really care. Modern society is trying to make me conform, if I do I am not being who I am. I won't be brainwashed into thinking some things are normal when I feel they are not.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
you just read my mind. I was going to say the same thing.

Are we heading to a police state? I don't know, but I do know we are beginning to be policed in our thoughts, if we don't think the way snowflakes want us to think then we are shut down or told we are racist/bad people. I even question my own thoughts these days on some subjects but I know I am not a bad person, I just have different opinions to some. But then, if that makes someone think I'm a bad person then so be it, I don't really care. Modern society is trying to make me conform, if I do I am not being who I am. I won't be brainwashed into thinking some things are normal when I feel they are not.
^^^^

This

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top