Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Re: Is Paranoia rife on this site?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Sounds horrendous. The world was perfectly efficient before all this nonsense. The nonsense has a massive carbon footprint both in the energy used and constant disposal and regeneration. I would not mind so much if anyone was at least consulted so that we could make an informed choice rather than have it forced on us.

Am I the only one here who has read "the machine stops"?! A really topical and just amazingly visionary piece of work. Totally relevant to the world we are living in. Farenheit 451 is another. The soulless world of no books just social media.
Mups in Farenheit 451 the rebels memorise passages of books and hand them down illegally through word of mouth. Real books are illegal. People live in an artificial world of social media and regularly go crazy and try to commit suicide. They are brought back to life and their memories wiped. The whole society relies on a culture of distraction. The most amazing thing is that this was written in 1953. Huxley, Bradbury, Orwell, Forster - the great visionaries and now we are living the nightmare and do not even worry about it.
Anyone who thinks I am nuts to think this should look around them at the contorted faces of those looking at their phones instead of looking at the beautiful world around them
I feel your pain Annie, it's a bit of a generational thing, where the older generation are pushed kicking and screaming into the world of the next generation. However, progression is not infinite, and sooner or later will become regression, especially now as we are using up the earth's resources at an alarming rate. Ms Thunberg is right, but it's nothing to do with climate and more to do with the extinction of resources, we are all to expensive for the planet to survive much longer, but the only way to correct this is by regression that only the next generation can put into practice. Hence the fact that only young people are being enlisted.

She should be more grateful to the older generations though for electronic communication, providing the platform from which she now speaks......
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 03:27 PM

Hi

A great post OGF.

We cannot change Planetary Cycles, we can however make better of our Resources.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A great post OGF.

We cannot change Planetary Cycles, we can however make better of our Resources.
Thanks Swim, appreciate it....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 09:15 PM

In some cases these days, not be paranoid is irresponsible.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Give these young un's a decade or two of dependency and they'll become fossilized and mentally atrophied before their time.
Sounds like you are describing OFF.

However back to the subject of paranoia, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that no one is watching you but there is safety in numbers.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Just those last few words of yours struck a chord with me, Annie . . " A soulless world."
And I agree.
Me too .
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:01 PM

I'd like to see a telephone app which can block all transmissions to other phones within 100 yards.

If I could get this I think I'd win lots of money, on quiz nights, as all the others would have to think about what the answer might be, instead of just keying the question.!

I heard one "asking Alexa" at the pub, recently!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I feel your pain Annie, it's a bit of a generational thing, where the older generation are pushed kicking and screaming into the world of the next generation. However, progression is not infinite, and sooner or later will become regression, especially now as we are using up the earth's resources at an alarming rate. Ms Thunberg is right, but it's nothing to do with climate and more to do with the extinction of resources, we are all to expensive for the planet to survive much longer, but the only way to correct this is by regression that only the next generation can put into practice. Hence the fact that only young people are being enlisted.

She should be more grateful to the older generations though for electronic communication, providing the platform from which she now speaks......
...Or by a pandemic that wipes a lot of the World's population out so that there are fewer of us using up resources.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2020, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Me too .
I wonder if you think that there may have been a time, or might be a time in the future, when the world has/had a soul?

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top