Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 06:20 PM

Re: Windows 10 - February 11, 2020 - KB4532693

Originally Posted by mart ->
There's no getting away with it if believing updates are generally for the best. It looks like other platforms have the right to bork the system with them too...

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/12/...e-avoid-update

https://appletoolbox.com/macbook-wil...ra-update-fix/

https://www.fosslinux.com/8782/fix-b...n-packages.htm

https://journalxtra.com/linux/deskto...-boot-failure/

We're all free to do what can be done to block (or not accept) updates if that's thought best though.

I think the trouble is that the workings that go on behind what we see on computer screens is so complicated that unforeseen stuff can go wrong under the bonnet.

I know it's a bit naughty and not something everyone should or would do but I've always run Windows as an Administrator, no limited user profiles. That might be why I haven't noticed anything wrong with the latest updates.
What? Even Linux?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What? Even Linux?
Afraid so JBR. I think it's just the nature of the beast. If you were to swap one platform for another, it might only be that you'd be swapping one set of problems for another. Of course you might be told that Mac or Linux are the best platforms since sliced bread but as you read, they aren't for everybody. Just the same as Windows upsets some people.

However, remember that we most often only read about those who have experienced problems or who are discontent. Not about the millions who use their chosen platform without issue.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Afraid so JBR. I think it's just the nature of the beast. If you were to swap one platform for another, it might only be that you'd be swapping one set of problems for another. Of course you might be told that Mac or Linux are the best platforms since sliced bread but as you read, they aren't for everybody. Just the same as Windows upsets some people.

However, remember that we most often only read about those who have experienced problems or who are discontent. Not about the millions who use their chosen platform without issue.
True, although I read quite a bit about people experiencing problems with Windows Updates, but far less about those who have problems unrelated to WU.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 08:09 PM

True, although I read quite a bit about people experiencing problems with Windows Updates, but far less about those who have problems unrelated to WU.
Most people use Windows, so I think there will be more complaints/problems of any kind reported about Windows than about other platforms.

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-02-2020, 08:21 PM

Most people use Windows, so I think there will be more complaints/problems of any kind reported about Windows than about other platforms.

https://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
No, I meant Windows problems unrelated to WU.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

13-02-2020, 08:24 PM

No, I meant Windows problems unrelated to WU.
Sorry, I should have accentuated the words 'of any kind'.

Edit: I think Windows updates are spoken of so much more that other Windows problems because they are an ongoing process. Hence a constant source of discussion. It looks like they will always cause problems that can be spoken of in forums and articles by lots of people because of the market share that Windows has. I don't know what everyone not reporting problems is doing. Perhaps millions are just putting up with them and not saying anything?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-02-2020, 08:52 PM

Sorry, I should have accentuated the words 'of any kind'.

Edit: I think Windows updates are spoken of so much more that other Windows problems because they are an ongoing process. Hence a constant source of discussion. It looks like they will always cause problems that can be spoken of in forums and articles by lots of people because of the market share that Windows has. I don't know what everyone not reporting problems is doing. Perhaps millions are just putting up with them and not saying anything?
Yes, of course. I apologise for my misunderstanding. Windows installations are by far the most numerous so there are bound to be more problems with Windows than any other OS.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

13-02-2020, 09:13 PM

Whatever the pitfalls of computers are, they allow us to do most of the things we want to do on them one way or another.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-02-2020, 10:03 PM

Whatever the pitfalls of computers are, they allow us to do most of the things we want to do on them one way or another.
Yes. To be honest, I have had nothing go very seriously wrong so far. Just minor inconveniences. And I hope it stays that way.
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2020, 10:09 PM

Being 'old school' IT,

at least we used to test things, not just bung them out there
and see what happens!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top