Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 02:19 PM

Re: The Bane of my Life! - THE SWEDE.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sainsbury's sell packs of swede and carrot mixed.....
That's it!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 03:39 PM

Was thinking of this thread last night while I was struggling to cut up celeriac!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Was thinking of this thread last night while I was struggling to cut up celeriac!
Even more difficult to cut, what with all its spiky bits. Well worth it though, I do like Celeriac mash.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 04:51 PM

LOL, Maybe we should write to the supermarkets and suggest they sell whole peeled and sliced swedes on the vegetable shelves. I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little more for them. Same with Celeriac and Turnips. It's not a case of laziness, It's just that I only like fresh veg, regardless of it being 5 days old, but it's so blessed difficult to prepare for some of us old farts. (I know, I know. Speak for yourself Shroppie!)
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 04:59 PM

I don't think I could bring myself to pay extra for cut up veg (must be the Yorkshire and Scottish blood in my veins ) and like Shropshire girl I like to buy them as fresh as possible (though ditto, the celeriac was also 5 days old )

Actually I didn't find the celeriac as difficult to cut up as a swede. Or butternut squash, that's another toughie!
I made cream of celeriac soup last night, t'was very nice!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 05:14 PM

Not tried that one. Would you share the recipe, please, Glanny?
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 07:37 PM

That is a softer swede, sharper knife and a stronger arm, than any I have fought with. Grr!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2020, 07:51 PM

Swedes should be sold with Danger notices on them .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-02-2020, 08:36 PM

I don't think I could bring myself to pay extra for cut up veg (must be the Yorkshire and Scottish blood in my veins ) and like Shropshire girl I like to buy them as fresh as possible (though ditto, the celeriac was also 5 days old )

Actually I didn't find the celeriac as difficult to cut up as a swede. Or butternut squash, that's another toughie!
You would be surprised at how much ready mashed potato and ready mashed swede, the supermarkets sell. I believe Waitrose even do chopped onions.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

18-02-2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Swedes should be sold with Danger notices on them .....
Especially this one

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top