Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:08 AM

Re: I cannot download and install Ring software on my computer

Originally Posted by mart ->
Ah, I wouldn't have twigged that you were accessing the Windows Store using a browser. I've always accessed Microsoft's Windows Store directly from the app that is part of the system.

I think if you had gone straight to there, there might not have been a problem. Anyway, I'm pleased everything is OK now.

Edit: I should get used to calling the Windows Store 'Microsoft Store' It was rebranded a while ago.
'Appen so, but I couldn't access the Microsoft Windows Store directly from the app, because I didn't have the app after I'd deleted it!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 09:23 AM

Have a look at 'All Settings - Apps > Apps and Features' to see if you have Microsoft Store listed there. Also in 'All Apps in the Start Menu under 'M'. As far as I know the Microsoft Store app can't be deleted, although you can terminate or reset it.

I don't want to try this unnecessarily myself though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Have a look at 'All Settings - Apps > Apps and Features' to see if you have Microsoft Store listed there. Also in 'All Apps in the Start Menu under 'M'. As far as I know the Microsoft Store app can't be deleted, although you can terminate or reset it.

I don't want to try this unnecessarily myself though.
I had a look and, sure enough, among all the Microsoft Visual C++ entries (why so many?), there it was.

I wasn't aware of this, which is why I used the browser version.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 12:40 PM

I keep the icon pinned to the Taskbar for convenience. It should have the appearance shown. Not used all that often but I have bought one or two games from there in the past. Some software is obtained from there too (as we know). My 'HP Smart' software had to be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-02-2020, 12:55 PM

I keep the icon pinned to the Taskbar for convenience. It should have the appearance shown. Not used all that often but I have bought one or two games from there in the past. Some software is obtained from there too (as we know). My 'HP Smart' software had to be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Yes, I suppose that equates to the shortcut on my phone to Google Play Store, where I can find all the app downloads.

In practice on my laptop, though, I tend to hear about software on the internet and a link to the download site seems usually to be supplied. That's why I don't usually use the Microsoft Store facility.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

19-02-2020, 02:51 PM

Yes, understood JBR. I'll know to think of that if I ever see a similar problem.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 03:41 PM

Not knowing anything about Ring software used on Windows, I don't have one of these devices and use Apple Macs anyway, I found totally by accident this link to recent news about Ring devices and thought some on this thread might be interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51555450
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Not knowing anything about Ring software used on Windows, I don't have one of these devices and use Apple Macs anyway, I found totally by accident this link to recent news about Ring devices and thought some on this thread might be interested:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51555450
Yes, I noticed when I needed to log in to Ring's customer assistance department that they needed my email address (which, of course, they already have on record), to which they sent a 6-digit number I had to enter to proceed further.
Nothing wrong with that, as it shows that I was who I said I was!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I noticed when I needed to log in to Ring's customer assistance department that they needed my email address (which, of course, they already have on record), to which they sent a 6-digit number I had to enter to proceed further.
Nothing wrong with that, as it shows that I was who I said I was!
Everything seems to be going this way, especially online banking. Something to do with the government insisting on this to better combat online fraud. Not a problem for most of us and if it does make for more security it can only be a good idea.

All I would have concerns about with this is for online banking. If your mobile phone is stolen and someone managed to get into it then all accounts on there are available, they also have your mobile so can use the security number that is sent to it. All my e-mail addresses are accessible on my mobile without keying in the passwords, as I don't do internet banking on the mobile I have no idea if that could be accessed without the password being keyed in?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 05:53 PM

This is extream way to go
I wipe everthing off my Comp as it it slows up with to much crap on it after tfter a bit

Done it twice now but takes almost a day to reload my Fav but you must remember the passwords.

In fact did it three days ago.

Comp is three times faster

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top