Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:01 AM

Re: Boiler.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks. That's food for thought.
If no. 1, does that mean you drain and flush twice, or have I misunderstood?
It does indeed. After the initial drain down and flushing the system out (by that, I mean refilling the system and draining again) refill the system adding the cleaning chemical. Use as per manufacturers instructions (that normally means running your heating at a high temperature, depending on the manufacturer, for at least 2 days) Drain again, flush again to remove any chemicals, especially if you have installed new rads, refill, then add the inhibitor. It sounds complicated, but is quite easy.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Yep fine thanks,thanks for the boiler reply.
No problem
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
It does indeed. After the initial drain down and flushing the system out (by that, I mean refilling the system and draining again) refill the system adding the cleaning chemical. Use as per manufacturers instructions (that normally means running your heating at a high temperature, depending on the manufacturer, for at least 2 days) Drain again, flush again to remove any chemicals, especially if you have installed new rads, refill, then add the inhibitor. It sounds complicated, but is quite easy.
It sounds pretty straightforward now you've explained it further. It looks like it might take at least a day and possibly more, so it might be best if I leave it until the weather's a bit warmer.

Thanks again. Very helpful.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 09:11 PM

I've just discussed this with Marge and she agrees that it would be best in the long term to do the job properly, draining down the whole system, flushing and replacing any radiators and valves as necessary.

We've decided to leave it for now and wait for the weather to improve. We've just had some new carpets too, so I'll have to roll them back first!

Thanks again for your help and advice.
gasman
Kent, UK

26-02-2020, 12:14 AM

No problem and if you do decide to change your rads, remember if they are old, they will be the imperial size. Therefore, some new rads will not be the same size(metric) and the pipework might require altering, or extension fittings to your new rads.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

26-02-2020, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
No problem and if you do decide to change your rads, remember if they are old, they will be the imperial size. Therefore, some new rads will not be the same size(metric) and the pipework might require altering, or extension fittings to your new rads.

Actually, there is only one which definitely needs replacing because it is rusting underneath externally.

Others seem OK at least externally, though the large one in the living room has needed bleeding a couple of times, so I assume it is rusting internally. I may be wrong, but when I last bled it there was a distinctive smell from the gas escaping.

I might try that little trick of collecting some gas in an upturned container and see if it pops!

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top