Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 01:08 PM

Re: Early onset of alzheimers ?

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I have set places also where I put down my specs but sometimes they go rogue...

Ditto with my mind going blank in the middle of a conversation and quiz answers that are there but just won't come out! Aargghhh! And also forgetting names. An old friend of ours used to say to people he bumped into, "I am getting to the stage where I can't remember my own name so I'm afraid you're going to have to remind me of yours..!" Good one!
I can never remember names, but then I have always been like that, faces yes, but then I have to subtly pump the person to find out where I know them from.
I forget what I want to say & where I've put things too. Can walk into a room, the wonder what I went in there for. It happens to us all after a certain age.

Seriously though Bakerman, if you really are worried just go to your GP.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Me too!
Also always losing my specs and finding them in random places :roll:

I think too if your mind is on something else and you are doing things on automatic pilot and then later you think, oh, I don't rmember doing that..? Like when you are driving a very familiar route and thinking about something and then suddenly realise you are home!

I would agree with what the others have said, Bakerman, go and get checked out and put your mind at rest
I've lost my specs only to find they are on my face!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:33 AM

I think it's important to simplify your life once you are over 50. The ability to conceptually organise and sequence steps becomes less elastic. So planning is less automatic. Distraction becomes more powerful and the memories simply slip away to a place you cannot reach. They have found that auditory memory is strong even in advanced alzheimers. So I am surprised nobody has utilised this in memory aides and lifestyle devices. Perhaps someone has and it's out there somewhere.

Electromagnetic waves, tapwater, food pollutants, chemicals we take for granted. Who knows what causes it. Perhaps it's down to nitrates or similar. There is certainly an everyday pollutant that affects us and perhaps a virus. Because some old people do not have memory problems, yet others do. Perhaps antibiotics or other meds have affected us. Who knows. People smoked cigarettes for health once upon a time and used x rays for novelty value.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Ok. Thanks to all. I think I'll just chalk it up to the normal part of aging. I won't worry about it until someone asks me why I'm walking down the street sans pants ?
If you are questioning yourself, you are probably OK. Of course, you could always go to a doctor that is experienced in treating the disease and have a chat to put your mind to ease.

That is the disease I fear more than any other. My Grandfather and all five of his daughters (my mother included) died with Alzheimer's. It makes my odds 50/50. It is probably a disease that is worse on family members than on the actual victim.

At nearly 70, I may be dodging that bullet. With a little luck, my heart will get me before my brain does.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
In the last few months I've noticed that I tend to forget things.
For example, I may find myself in the kitchen but I have forgotten why I went in there. So, I think to myself, 'Did I come here for something to drink ?' I look over my shoulder I and see a half full glass of iced tea. Nope. Food ? Nope, I just ate. Finally, I realize that I wanted to slice up some cheese and an apple for dessert.
A few months back I could not locate my house keys. I looked high and low, but they were no-where to be found. Well, that means I can't go to the market. Hmm ? eventually I went to the fridge to get some ice and there they were... inside the freezer. Jeez, how stupid of me.
So, the beginning of alzheimers ?

Not likely.

I have found comfort in the research that shows that it could be an evolutionary thing - the human brain is programmed to forget things, as a survival tool, when the environment changes and what applied for survival in the previous environment no longer applies so there is no point in remembering it.

I.E. going from the lounge to the kitchen is the same as going from savannah to a forest. So if you forget what you went into the kitchen for you will survive longer.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Most of us get more forgetful as we get older. These things don't mean that you are getting dementia. (Alzheimers is only one kind of dementia) But if you're worried you should be assessed by a neurologist. Nobody here should advise you any further than this even if they are one or have it themselves. You are are an individual and everybody is different. I do things like that myself all the time. I have been walking into rooms and forgetting why I did since I could walk into a room. That aside I hope all goes well for you BM.
Great post.
I agree. We all do this bakerman.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 08:13 AM

I became worried about my forgetfulness a few months ago and found this website: https://www.foodforthebrain.org/

It asks questions about lifestyle, diet and there's a cognitive test after which it gives results - I found it really good.
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Me too!
And Me
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2020, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I became worried about my forgetfulness a few months ago and found this website: https://www.foodforthebrain.org/

It asks questions about lifestyle, diet and there's a cognitive test after which it gives results - I found it really good.
Cant do it, too old.
BARELY 50
New Member!
HAVANT, HAMPSHIRE UK
BARELY 50 is female 

07-03-2020, 07:34 PM

I don't know if this will be of any help but I am the main carer for my father, when he becomes forgetful and confused... I have him checked for Urine Infection and just lately he has been deficient in Vit B 12 which causes memory issues. Its worth checking it out. 👍

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top