Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:03 PM

Blue steak anyone?

Does anyone cook or eat this? Apparently for foodie philistines such as I it's basically totally raw steak with sealed sides. Now how does that differ from rare steak is my next question.

Apparently it's all down to whether it feels like the skin between your thumb and forefinger at rest or whether you make an "ok" circle sign by touching forefinger to thumb. It's all in the tension. But honestly does anyone have the presence of mind to do these tests when cooking steak?! By the time you have made an "ok" sign surely it's all over?!

Anyone here a "blue steak" fan or is boot leather more palatable? I do wonder whether one should just do away with the formalities and simply take the darned thing right out of the packaging and plonk it on a plate "tartare"! Because if it's blue you are still meant to pick it up with blinking tongs to ensure all the sides are sealed hence avoiding e coli....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Re: Blue steak anyone?

... never heard of blue steak, so I googled it ... Nah

Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 09:32 PM

good lord that looks horrid. Mind you I don't like steak so I would say that wouldn't I
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:21 PM

I remember when I first ran a pub , I also was chief cook and bottle washer . I wasnt trained professionally was just a good family mumsy cook that enjoyed seeing people eat good home cooked food.

A gent came in one evening and asked for a blue steak , I'd never heard of it so he said 2 minutes either side which I carefully did for him .

He loved it
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2020, 10:33 PM

I often enjoy a medium-rare steak but the 'blue' steak is way too rare even for me.
When cooking a steak at home, whether on a charcoal grill or on the stove top, I have discovered that the steak tastes very much better if it is at room temp, prior to cooking. I allow my steak to sit on the counter for 2+ hours (covered with plastic wrap). Then I can put it on the grill. After cooking, I allow the steak to sit, off the fire, for 5 minutes, which allows the juices to stay put within the meat, instead of running out onto the plate. Yummy
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:46 AM

I don't eat blue steak I prefer medium rare but I have eaten very rare steak which is red in the middle and didn't mind it.

One of my sons once commented that at my BBQs I tended "to knock off the horns and hooves, wipe it's arse and stick it on a plate"

Not true BTW, he just likes well done meat. His siblings are less Philistine.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 04:13 AM

I like my steak BBQd and rare but not still mooing. :O I've heard of blue steak but never had one.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 07:21 AM

Hi

Yes, I like it.

Don't try it with Supermarket Steak, it has to be dry aged for at least a month.

Flash fried there is no blood and the internal temperature is enough to kil any bacteria.

It is very tender.l
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Does anyone cook or eat this? Apparently for foodie philistines such as I it's basically totally raw steak with sealed sides. Now how does that differ from rare steak is my next question.

Apparently it's all down to whether it feels like the skin between your thumb and forefinger at rest or whether you make an "ok" circle sign by touching forefinger to thumb. It's all in the tension. But honestly does anyone have the presence of mind to do these tests when cooking steak?! By the time you have made an "ok" sign surely it's all over?!

Anyone here a "blue steak" fan or is boot leather more palatable? I do wonder whether one should just do away with the formalities and simply take the darned thing right out of the packaging and plonk it on a plate "tartare"! Because if it's blue you are still meant to pick it up with blinking tongs to ensure all the sides are sealed hence avoiding e coli....
Morning all, a friend of mine is a 'blue' fan. I didn't realise how much until we went out for a meal and she ordered a sirloin steak. When the waiter asked her how she would like it cooked, her reply was 'just let the steak give the griddle a quick hello kiss!'' She would also buy minced beef from the butcher and nibble on it on the way home!! Yuk.
When her Godmother took her to stay at the Old Course Hotel at St Andrews and she again ordered a fillet steak, she said the waiter was a bit sniffy and patronising when she ordered it 'blue', with the usual to a woman remark, ''Madam, you do appreciate the steak will be almost uncooked'. She told me if she had the steak on her plate she would have slapped him around the chops with it!

Personally, I'm one of those awkward people. I usually get the offer of Rare, Medium Rare, or Well Done. Well I am none of those, I like my steak JUST MEDIUM! Not rare, not well done. I like it so when I cut into my steak, there are no red juices, no red meat but definitely not overcooked. Butter tender is my preference. Is that too much to ask?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Once when we were on holiday, we went to a restaurant and I ordered a well done steak and Mr Mags ordered medium rare. My steak arrived and looked lovely until I cut into it ..... my plate was running in blood I almost heaved! Mr Mags complained to the waiter, he took it away and re-cooked it to perfection for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top