Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 06:56 PM

Watches madness

As some of you may know, I'm a bit of a watch collector but I've gone down to 5 plus an Apple Watch which I no longer use.

Getting up this morning. My watch showed 9:30 but the actual time was 10. No problem, I thought. It must have just slowly reduced its strength until it stopped, having had little activity. It is an automatic.

So I checked my other watches and they all showed different times and dates except my Tissot which was spot on (quartz) the others - a Tag, a Bulova, a Rado and a Casio all showed incorrect times.

This is where it gets spooky. Trying to readjust them all again I finally did it but the date and day complication on my Tag was hellish to readjust.

So then they all showed the correct time. An hour later, though they were all wrong apart from the Casio. None of the batteries in them were off nor were the 2 automatic movements in my Tags. So I sat down and thought about it: what was the day and date? I found it hard to work out the day and date and rough time, forcing me to check my phone which I regard as bullet proof as far as phone clock goes.

I thought about it and realised that they were all showing the correct time, but my brain wasn't processing the information correctly. I'd literally be looking at a watch which showed the right time but I was seeing something different.

I'm wearing the Casio tonight as it has solar time but am bemused by how my illness can present itself in that way. Just had a look, and they're all the correct time tonight.

I've also been noticing that I've been doing so many typos on my laptop that it is unreal.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 09:30 PM

Re: Watches madness

Sorry to hear about your problem Ffosse, let's hope it's just a temporary glitch. I sometimes wake up in the mornings and don't know whether I'm on this world or fullers!... I'm not a very communicative person in the mornings, but you can't shut me up in the evenings.......

I thought there was something wrong when you said that your Casio was reading wrong......
My Casio stopwatch that I wear for running is the watch that every clock in my house is set by.....Always spot on...
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 09:59 AM

Yes, solar is great but even the Casio was off.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:08 AM

That's very odd, we have different time zones in our flat I keep my husbands clock in his room running half an hour fast that means he leaves the flat on time, Nathan's runs an hour fast that gets him out to work exactly on time. Mine runs 15 minutes slow so I get places only half an hour early

We have alarms going off all around for various things, medication, work, feed the dogs, showers. Beep beep beep what's that one telling us
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:28 AM

My Casio wrist watch (Module 4396) is always spot on too, I check it periodically against the atomic clock at

http://time.is/

Rarely more than a few seconds out. I have had this watch for decades and the cost of replacement batteries (it takes two) has far exceeded the original cost of the watch which was about $25 (£12).

It is great when travelling - I leave the hands on AEST but adjust the first digital on the local time and the dual time on any excursion time (eg Thai time when I am in Malaysia)

Casio rocks!

The face is scratched to buggery and the characters on the bezel(?) are worn away but it works and tells the time accurately, you can't ask more that that of a watch, can you?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010261.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	8295  
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

29-12-2018, 10:51 AM

That's a nice old Casio - is it radio-controlled?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

29-12-2018, 03:51 PM

This is still there unless I wear one specific watch, but it's amongst the strangest things I've ever encountered.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:39 PM

I bought a new watch in the Autumn of 2003 just after my previous one gave up the ghost on me. Its a Vivaldi, keeps perfect time and apart from replacement batteries every couple of years has never been any bother.

I wear it every day, and feel 'undressed' without it on my wrist.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 06:45 PM

This is my Casio watch that I use to time my runs.
It has kept excellent time over the years and because it's a ten year battery I've never had to replace it....Yet!

I'll probably chuck it away when the battery does finally run out because they are a bitch to replace, and the watch only cost about twenty quid.

I love this watch though because the digits are so large and I can read the time without my specs....

Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

29-12-2018, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the replies, but does any one have a clue what is going on re my own situation. I could spend another 45 minutes adjusting my watches again.

The two automatics have almost run out and show 11:10 and and 7:35. My other watches show 3am, 7:30pm, screens still lit which is strange for an LCD and my current Tissot shows everything as it should do, even still giving me the coreect barometric pressure outside. I set them all yesterday morning. My Bulova thinks it's midnight.

I've recognised that im seeing things which aren't there. Kind of a static illusion - I didn't know that the brain could come up with some illusions like that. The fact that I know this almost makes it worse.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top