Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 06:48 AM

Re: Shops where you live

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Yes LD it is a nice place to live. We could have done a lot worse. And for what we got for our 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney in 1997 we bought a 4 bedroom house here. Couldn't do it these days.
My BH always raves about a fish and chip shop in Manly .The best in Australia apparently,I wonder if it's still there?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 07:44 AM

Hi

So much difference from the village I lived in last year. where , because of the bus timings, it was a 6 hour round trip to Tescos.

I have Aldi and Lidl a few minutes walk away. Tesco is 10 minutes walk away, but never venture in there.

A very good chippy, a Polish Shop, Doctor's, Gym, Pharmacy, all just a few minutes walk.

Library and cafe just 400 yards away.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
My BH always raves about a fish and chip shop in Manly .The best in Australia apparently,I wonder if it's still there?
There's quite a few F&Cs in Manly but I think she might be talking about the one at the beach end of The Corso. That's just a takeaway but it's been there forever and it's good. But the old chippies that used to be along the beachfront are all expensive restaurants now. Some worth it others not.
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:31 AM

We live 7 mile from town, small store in village sell papers and bits and bobs, 4 people in the shop and it’s full. We have 2 pubs one posh and one cosy and a butchers. I get my shopping on line from Waitrose. Hubby hates crowds he get upset and confused when loads of people are milling round him. I hate people who stand and chat and block the way, so on line is best. Getting into town is a nightmare in summer as it’s a tourist place.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:37 AM

There is the pub opposite but I only venture inside one for a rare meal out.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
There is the pub opposite but I only venture inside one for a rare meal out.
I like my steak medium to well done myself.

Nice posts in here, thanks It seems most people live away from the centre of a town. Is that what happens when retirement approaches I wonder?
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:49 AM

When I lived in England the village I lived in (Proper Village 400 souls) only had a post office and three pubs.
It used to have a Garage/Blacksmiths but that closed down as did the PO and one of the pubs so any shopping you had to drive into Selby 5 miles away
or as we did Leeds doing shopping on the way home from work at ASDA to be more precise the wife did the shopping on her way home

Here in Spain we only do supermarket shopping Mercadona most products Gultin free at no extra charge everything else we do on line
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I like my steak medium to well done myself.

Nice posts in here, thanks It seems most people live away from the centre of a town. Is that what happens when retirement approaches I wonder?
We've been pondering moving out of London to a nice Cotswold market town ... but probably never will.

Here we have shops from every country on the planet, top NHS hospitals, free public transport (tubes/buses) and a lot we are going to miss. So it looks like we're stuck here for good.

Off to https://www.wholefoodsmarket.co.uk/s.../#store-venues .... for an inexpensive lunch followed by a walk in Hyde Park.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:02 PM

We’ve lived here for 30 years, we have everything we need, local cost cutter chip shop, cafe, and hairdressers, as well as a pub and my doctors, all within a few minutes walk, not that we use them much, I’ve never been into the pub for instance, and the supermarket is only for emergencies, we’re on a bus route if we need it, although we’re only a couple of miles from the park and ride, so use that quite often for trips into town, there’s a Lidl about ten minutes walk away, and a Tesco express about the same, so we have everything we could want really

Forgot to mention an excellent butchers round here too
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
We’ve lived here for 30 years, we have everything we need, local cost cutter chip shop, cafe, and hairdressers, as well as a pub and my doctors, all within a few minutes walk, not that we use them much, I’ve never been into the pub for instance, and the supermarket is only for emergencies, we’re on a bus route if we need it, although we’re only a couple of miles from the park and ride, so use that quite often for trips into town, there’s a Lidl about ten minutes walk away, and a Tesco express about the same, so we have everything we could want really

Forgot to mention an excellent butchers round here too
Would that be Martin Richardson's, Primus?

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top