Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:01 AM

Re: Devon town branded racist.

One side of the coin could be...It reminds me of the story of how Queen Victoria demanded to have the legs of her piano "clothed" in fabric because she thought they were too "sexy" left bare..even though they would have been French polished and decorated to within an inch of their.... wood? Just beyond silly. The other side could be..and this is drawing a long bow, the sign is confusing to visitors who don't know what it means. It could be just to avoid misunderstandings and trouble. WE all know that people these days will spend from dawn to dusk searching for something to be offended by.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
One side of the coin could be...It reminds me of the story of how Queen Victoria demanded to have the legs of her piano "clothed" in fabric because she thought they were too "sexy" left bare..even though they would have been French polished and decorated to within an inch of their.... wood? Just beyond silly. The other side could be..and this is drawing a long bow, the sign is confusing to visitors who don't know what it means. It could be just to avoid misunderstandings and trouble. WE all know that people these days will spend from dawn to dusk searching for something to be offended by.
I suppose that could be true Keezoy although again, don't think it would be black people that are offended by it, more likely to be white snowflakes. There are lots of things in Devon that I don't understand (being an incomer myself) but I just try to embrace them for what they are.They were here long before I was.

We have a major event on the 5th.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 02:16 AM

When computers were first designed, the storage devices were defined as Master and Slave, meaning the operating system was always installed on the master device and everything else was installed on the slave. Things changed when a black computer technician in the USA took offence to the usage of Master and Slave and proceeded to complain. Computer manufacturers then changed the naming to Primary and Secondary.

The thing is, the master and slave naming convention had been in use for decades and all it took was only ONE complaint from a black man complaining that the words had deep roots in slavery and thus should not be used for the whole computer industry to change the wording.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Hi

I simply take no notice of the whole stupid thing.

When I was working Christmas was changed to Mid Winter Break and Brainstorming Sessions deemed to be offensive to epileptics, so replaced with thought showers.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Spot on!

Those towns won't be a problem though will they?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 08:37 AM

Isn't the real problem that many people have nothing better to do than find something to complain about!

The term "racist" should be banned because, like it or not, people come in all colours & you only have to look at them to see that..... but that doesn't mean we dislike them or look down in them

I have met lots of different coloured people, some I like, and some I don't like, but it is their personality that causes the dislike...not their colour.

I would like to mention that one of South African rugby team brought his 3 children on, after they had won the cup. They were black and beautiful...... just like children of any other colour !
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Isn't the real problem that many people have nothing better to do than find something to complain about !
There are people who are social justice workers. They see their roles and duty as social engineers intent on creating a brave new and better world.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:19 AM

What about the Black Country? there's a museum there you know!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
The reasoning behind the motion was daft, considering the clusters of white painted houses make it obvious why the town was given that description.

However, I rather like the new signage the Council has chosen

Charles Kingsley's “Little white town”

It puts in the context, so the PC brigade can’t complain, and puts in the historical link with the famous author who gave it that name, so those who weren’t aware will learn how the town got its name.

So, all’s well that ends well.
Thanks for posting that Boot. It's always good to get the full story.
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What about the Black Country? there's a museum there you know!

I been there a few times, takes me back to my childhood back to back houses and out door loo, winter was a a nightmare getting across the yard to go to the loo llllol.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top