Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 03:32 PM

Re: Dog Licensing.

And did you witness this attack?

Do you know the exact circumstances which made this dog bite?
Why was the child that close to a strange dog?

Do you know the dog well, and what his usual temperament is like?

If he was that badly bitten that his Mother could not work, the Police will most definitely deal with it - they have to.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 04:11 PM

Hi

A simple walk to school and a nasty dog.

Dogs should be controlled by their owner and fully insured.

Mine where and no issues at all.

Unlicensed and uninsured dogs are a danger.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Insuring a dog doesn't make it less dangerous. That's down to the owner whether insured or not.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 05:47 PM

Swim perhaps it would help if you gave the full story; I think somebody else has also said that today!
From your first post I assumed you had been bitten by a dog, so it would really help if you abandoned your one line comments and told us the full details.

It is sad that some dogs bite, but I lay the blame with people not keeping their dogs under control. Most decent owners do so, and those that don't should be reported to the police if their animal bites.

Compensating the parent for lost earnings, won't help the child to feel less pain, so I believe we should be trying to stop bad owners from having dogs, not having insurance to cover costs. If the child had died, no amount of money would have compensated!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Dogs biting?

One bite one bullet.

Sorted.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 06:03 PM

Hi

A simple post gone wrong.

My sympathy is with both the child and the parents,

The child was hurt and mum had to take time off work, which she could ill afford.

The dog belonged to a family who do not work.

I am amazed by the comments on here.

So insensitive and uncaring about others.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Insuring a dog doesn't make it less dangerous. That's down to the owner whether insured or not.
Spot on LD I have had 7 dogs in my life time and not one as bitten.
3 were Staffs 1 German Shepherd, 2 Mongrel's and lastly my JR.
They all mixed with my family in their times.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A simple post gone wrong.

My sympathy is with both the child and the parents,

The child was hurt and mum had to take time off work, which she could ill afford.

The dog belonged to a family who do not work.

I am amazed by the comments on here.

So insensitive and uncaring about others.

Irrelevant comment.

As I said just before, there are laws about this and if it was a bad bite, the police have to be informed.

Have they?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 07:19 PM

The problem is that the owners who do not train their dogs and then set them loose are not likely to bother with insurance or care what happens to people affected. Well trained dogs are unlikely to bite unless they or the owner are threatened. But unfortunately there are quite a few untrained dogs around with irresponsible owners.

I've come across a few in the park where their dog has tried to attack Teddy and the dog does not listen to the owner. Last time I was holding Teddy in my arms and the dog was jumping on me trying to get at him. It was pretty scary and the owner was running towards us as the dog was not listening.

It's impossible to police this and I don't think the services have resources to do so. What they should perhaps do is ensure that dog sales are strictly controlled so that owners are vetted and sign up to training, insurance and healthcare policies at the time of sale. This would I'm sure vastly reduce the number of strays and impulse purchases.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2019, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Irrelevant comment.

As I said just before, there are laws about this and if it was a bad bite, the police have to be informed.

Have they?
I've wondered about this. Because if you are in a park and there is a stranger with a dog that attacks you or your dog, how will you ever be able to identify them? I wonder how many people are ever caught. The responsible owners will swap details.

btw doesn't petplan include cover for this sort of thing? I've never thought of insurance as I thought the petplan policy covered liability.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top