Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

24-07-2018, 01:11 PM

Re: Could living abroad be achieved financially?

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've spent five winters in Portugal and OK the winters only last a couple of months, but can be a bit miserable at times. Everything there is designed to keep you cool, marble floors etc. so come christmastime you miss the open fires and general cosiness of blighty.
We drive to Spain in our Motorhome which is our home from home
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Could living abroad be achieved financially?
It was for us, in a sense, but when we moved back after five years in Portugal, to buy a property in London we were about £100k worse off than we would have been had we stayed put. But we have no regrets, in fact we are glad we got it out of our system and did it in our 50s instead of in our 60s/70s.

We had a small place in London, sold it, moved to Lisbon and bought two homes, lived in one and rented out the other. When we moved back, due to ill-health, property prices in Lisbon had increased by a little, prices in London had increased by a lot!

I would recommend people who own property here in the UK hang on to it, rent it out and rent a place to live in your chosen hot spot.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Panda ->
We drive to Spain in our Motorhome which is our home from home
Is that a fun place to live (parked up in Spain) during the winter months?

can't you cosy it up yaself??
The homes - villa or apartment - are concrete shells, cool all year round. And I was thinking about pubs with open fires, not that we go to them now, is what I missed during the PT winter.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 02:08 PM

I must be the odd one out. No way do I want to live abroad where they can't speak English properly, a country full of rabies,driving on the wrong side of the road, eating snails and frogs legs, poor sanitation to name but a few drawbacks to living abroad. worst of all watching TV with a language you don't understand, horrible. Then there are the medical treatment issues- No national health service only private medical insurance.

What really puts me off is getting in a car to drive with the steering wheel on the wrong side, how uneducated can they get
AS for pasta dishes the make me sick, spagetti through a straw how uncouth can you get.

When we were in Brittany staying right out in the country with friends, the local farmer came along with his tractor and sewage bowser. He proceeded to extract human sewage for house cesspits and then go spread it straight onto the fields. No way would I want to eat ant French produce after that
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

24-07-2018, 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=d00d;1470156]Is that a fun place to live (parked up in Spain) during the winter months?

/QUOTE]

We love our life, admit it wouldn't suit everyone. Winters in Spain then there's the rest of Europe on the doorstep, what's not to like.

We fully intend living life to the full while we can.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I must be the odd one out. No way do I want to live abroad where they can't speak English properly, a country full of rabies,driving on the wrong side of the road, eating snails and frogs legs, poor sanitation to name but a few drawbacks to living abroad. worst of all watching TV with a language you don't understand, horrible. Then there are the medical treatment issues- No national health service only private medical insurance.

What really puts me off is getting in a car to drive with the steering wheel on the wrong side, how uneducated can they get
AS for pasta dishes the make me sick, spagetti through a straw how uncouth can you get.

When we were in Brittany staying right out in the country with friends, the local farmer came along with his tractor and sewage bowser. He proceeded to extract human sewage for house cesspits and then go spread it straight onto the fields. No way would I want to eat ant French produce after that
You know what? I could have said all that myself!

Bloody foreigners.

Of course, whether they'll admit it or not, they CAN speak English. You just have to speak slowly and shout.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

24-07-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
.... eating snails and frogs legs
Go further afield and you can get sheeps eye and dogs blx.

worst of all watching TV with a language you don't understand
It's mostly English & American with foreign titles. BBC World News ought to available FOC on their version of Freeview.

gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2018, 12:01 PM

my dear deceased brother made a life changing decision to move to spain with his wife and purchased a lovely house in a small mountain village - they both made a intense effort to learn and speak spanish BEFORE going there and had a fantastic time - when my brother became very ill he received according to them the best medical treatment they could - apparently touted better than UK [that's easy to believe these days!] unfortunately as he had a late stage of leukaemia he didn't make it ; his wife still lives there and occasionally commutes to UK but they could not speak more highly of the Spanish and their hospitality.

On another site I use posts a guy who has lived in spain for 30 yrs runs his own restaurant and wouldn't have it any other way - it's called 'state of mind' flexibility' not being a rigid brit??

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top