Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:51 AM

Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

Did anyone watch this ?
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...amily-17353055
Truly heartbreaking for these children to be subjected to worry and anxiety ,supporting parents who havn’t got the money to put food on the table without resorting to food banks , having to go months in winter sleeping in their coats because there’s no money for the gas and electric ,
Shameful that the Cambridge family have to move all the way up to Hull because it’s cheaper .
Thank goodness there’s programmes like this highlighting the plight of innocents . They will be old before their time as some comments say.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 09:01 AM

Re: Dispatches,Ch4 tonight ,Growing Up Poor

Identical with my memories of life around our patch where I grew up. We were fortunate in that my mum used to go to work and my father was building his own business but in the next street life was even worse that described and there were no such things as food banks.

If this country was not living on every increasing debt but to a living standard that we can afford then those days WILL and arguably SHOULD return.

As it is the standard of living that we enjoy today is being paid for by future generations and people in other countries being exploited.

It has to stop.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Trying to get it on catch up without success.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 10:17 AM

What exactly is 'poverty' in today's thinking.
When me, my sister and my brother were very young back in the 30s my Father could only do very light work having been discharged from the first WW with severe leg wounds. My Mother used to make a penny or two sewing suede gloves for a factory in Yeovil. Times were very hard. I have seen my parents sitting at the table crying because there was no money.
In spite of all this we children never went hungry, we always had clothes on our backs and shoes on our feet.
Go into many of today,s 'poverty' stricken homes where the only source of food is from a food bank and what do you see. 40" televisions, Playstations, Mobile phones, Packs of cigarettes on the table along with cans of beer.
I,m sorry but poverty does not mean poverty in many homes today. It means that there is not enough money to put a bet on at the local bookies at the end of the week or go to the local for a drink.
I agree there are many who are genuinely in dire straits and should get help but there are many who just will not try to better themselves and rely on others to get them out of the mire.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
When me, my sister and my brother were very young back in the 30s my Father could only do very light work having been discharged from the first WW with severe leg wounds. My Mother used to make a penny or two sewing suede gloves for a factory in Yeovil. Times were very hard. I have seen my parents sitting at the table crying because there was no money.
In spite of all this we children never went hungry, we always had clothes on our backs and shoes on our feet.
Go into many of today,s 'poverty' stricken homes where the only source of food is from a food bank and what do you see. 40" televisions, Playstations, Mobile phones, Packs of cigarettes on the table along with cans of beer.
I,m sorry but poverty does not mean poverty in many homes today. It means that there is not enough money to put a bet on at the local bookies at the end of the week or go to the local for a drink.
I agree there are many who are genuinely in dire straits and should get help but there are many who just will not try to better themselves and rely on others to get them out of the mire.
Poverty is decided by a formulea. It is when a person's income is when a household income is 60% or less than the median average income which is ANAD (As Near As Dammit) £30,000 pa so poverty kicks in when the income falls below £18,000. but in most cases Benefits kick in.

So the gotcha is this.

Because poverty is based an the median average then as that changes so the numbers of people in "poverty" remains ANAD the same.

The bottom line is that other than a small percentage of illegals there is no poverty in the UK.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Poverty is decided by a formulea. It is when a person's income is when a household income is 60% or less than the median average income which is ANAD (As Near As Dammit) £30,000 pa so poverty kicks in when the income falls below £18,000. but in most cases Benefits kick in.

So the gotcha is this.

Because poverty is based an the median average then as that changes so the numbers of people in "poverty" remains ANAD the same.

The bottom line is that other than a small percentage of illegals there is no poverty in the UK.
I put just now, on another thread about labours definition of poverty, which is calculated using the UN figure, which is any family earning below £21K a year...

I'm inclined to believe you AD and I think your right that poverty in this country is very limited and nothing like what labour and channel 4 are claiming.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:25 PM

Obviously you didn't watch the programme .
This was about children in different parts of the country talking about their lives when circumstances had reduced thuem to living in dire straits .

I've been poor ,hadn't a shilling for the gas meter at times but in these days no children ought to have to sleep in their coats because mum hasn't enough on her meter card to heat the home for instance .
It was heartbreakin
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2019, 12:42 PM

No I did not watch the programme and agree that no-one in this day and age should have to live in conditions as this.
My point was that there are many that claim to be living in poverty and do not know how to make ends meet but can still afford mobile phones, Large televisions, Playstations, cars, etc;
I remember the days when the poor had to rely on what was called 'Parish Relief' which meant having to depend on the kindness of neighbours. No cash benefits in those days.
Zuleika
North West UK

03-12-2019, 01:54 PM

No I did not watch the programme and agree that no-one in this day and age should have to live in conditions as this.
My point was that there are many that claim to be living in poverty and do not know how to make ends meet but can still afford mobile phones, Large televisions, Playstations, cars, etc;
I remember the days when the poor had to rely on what was called 'Parish Relief' which meant having to depend on the kindness of neighbours. No cash benefits in those days.
The topic is this programme ,about little children who ought not to be subjected to the dire straits they have found themselves in .
You're talking about things you've seen about people on benefits claiming to be living in poverty?
Go watch this one onland tell me you don't find it heartbreaking .
big ben
United Kingdom

03-12-2019, 02:04 PM

It is heartbreaking. I will watch the programme on catch-up.
Did you ever watch the programme "Benefits Street"? These so-called 'poor' were lolling on the garden walls, a can of beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. They all say the same "Why should we work when we can get paid to do nothing" These are the sort that get up my nose and not the poor people to whom poverty is real.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top