Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Re: An MOT at Doc's

Health MOTs are not for me. I get all in a state if I think they will find something wrong and then my BP goes up. Over the years I have had occasional blood tests mostly for my thyroid, but they put in a few extra bits and pieces. The doctors know how I feel about this sort of thing and don't push too much for me to have tests for this and that.
Incidentally I would never say to somebody not to have a health MOT, it is entirely up to each person to decide what they want to do or not do. I do believe doctors do get extra payments for MOTs after people reach a certain age. I also never have flu jabs - far too likely to make me ill, in my opinion.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 05:47 PM

May, I get the feeling that the NHS in Scotland is very keen on a 'scattergun' approach to medicine. Treat everybody because some of them might benefit. I think my GP has given up on me, and the practice nurse is starting to become a lot more easy going about tests and medication.

In my business travels, I 've talked to a few doctors, and over a couple of drinks, you often get a far different opinion to the one you'd get in the surgery. As one doctor put it, "if you drink less than your GP, you don't have a problem.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
May, I get the feeling that the NHS in Scotland is very keen on a 'scattergun' approach to medicine. Treat everybody because some of them might benefit. I think my GP has given up on me, and the practice nurse is starting to become a lot more easy going about tests and medication.

In my business travels, I 've talked to a few doctors, and over a couple of drinks, you often get a far different opinion to the one you'd get in the surgery. As one doctor put it, "if you drink less than your GP, you don't have a problem.
That's very reassuring Grumblewagon :~)

Boots on hindsight maybe I should have refused it...too late now,lol.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Just phoned Receptionist for results..everything clear except cholesterol which is high at 8.3 EEK!...Nurse will call Me at Home Tomorrow at 3pm to discuss it...I'm wondering if losing weight will lower it,though the Nurse seemed quite happy with My BMI of 25 when She weighed Me...There's no history of heart disease/stroke in My Family,and I've never smoked,rarely drink alcohol,and am not obese..I also walk everywhere and exercise every day....Jeeze!...Hope I don't pop My clogs sooner than I thought...any tips will be gratefully received :~)
May although I am on Statins I have started taking Benecol once a day then hopefully will be able to come off of the Atorvastatin.
Benecol isn't cheap but if it lowers Cholesterol then it's cheap enough for me.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 06:09 PM

I say get to the Doc's and have an MOT done whenever you can. I haven't had one but would like to know more? can you book yourself in on these MOT's ? I was told i had high Cholesterol a few years back but they never get back to you to make a repeat visit to see if anything has changed?
I know i have one or two concerns with Tinnitus and another problem i have that i don't know if it is an illness or not? Maybe i should go and book myself in?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
May although I am on Statins I have started taking Benecol once a day then hopefully will be able to come off of the Atorvastatin.
Benecol isn't cheap but if it lowers Cholesterol then it's cheap enough for me.
Thanks Maursey,I've had a look at both benecol and actimel drinks,but they seem to have lots of sugar in them? and sugar's My enemy as it sets off a craving for more :~(...I do take plain low fat yoghurt every day which has pro-biotics,but sometimes wonder is all of this stuff just one big con to make the manufacturers richer !!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
I say get to the Doc's and have an MOT done whenever you can. I haven't had one but would like to know more? can you book yourself in on these MOT's ? I was told i had high Cholesterol a few years back but they never get back to you to make a repeat visit to see if anything has changed?
I know i have one or two concerns with Tinnitus and another problem i have that i don't know if it is an illness or not? Maybe i should go and book myself in?
Think you may have to reach a certain age before they contact you but I could be wrong.. I'm sure you could ask at your surgery for a cholesterol check, after all they seem to be pretty keen on lowering it if at all possible. In league with the drugs companies? Maybe..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Maursey, I've found the cholesterol lowering drinks are quite effective, especially in combination with a diet, a 10% + reduction is achievable.
Benecol drinks are expensive, but Tesco sells a very tasty cheaper one and Aldi sells a very nice one at around half the Benecol price. (all with2 gms. plant sterols). But, they do contain calories!!

I asked a locum GP about Atorvastatin and he said that at 5.8 my cholesterol wasn't actually that high and he wouldn't bother. A few years ago, unless it was around 8, nobody would have worried. I smell a conspiracy.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Think you may have to reach a certain age before they contact you but I could be wrong.. I'm sure you could ask at your surgery for a cholesterol check, after all they seem to be pretty keen on lowering it if at all possible. In league with the drugs companies? Maybe..

Yes i think i will
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Good thinking Cranberry..eat more porridge yayy...lol..Though We Scots 'tend to like Ours with a fair shake o' the salt cellar..will have to cut THAT down Methinks..See what Nurse has to say..mind You She's just 5ft 0 and as broad as She's long,so She should be sympathetic :~)

Aye You're right of course Robert,We're all responsible for Our Own health,and I'll take advice on improving Mine without statins which seem to do more harm than good from what I've heard and read.

Don't know anything about good/bad cholesterol Julie,but I suppose I soon will.

Although your overall cholesterol reading was rather high it's not whole picture May.
Cholesterol is made up of three main components:
HDL:- this is the good stuff and you need a reading of over 1.0 mmol/I [millimols per litre of blood] the higher the better.
LDL:- this is the bad stuff and you need a level under 2.0 mmol/I. this is the stuff that adheres to artery walls and can cause atherosclerosis or Heart Disease.
Triglycerides:- also bad stuff and your readings should not exceed 1.7 mmol/I.
High readings of HDL is good because it surrounds the bad stuff and stops it sticking to artery walls. If you take the total cholesterol reading and divide it by the HDL reading you will get the ratio between good and bad cholesterol and a reading of below 4 would be a preferred reading. So in theory, a high overall cholesterol reading could still be good if it's made up of mainly HDL. Alternatively, a low overall reading could be bad if it's made up of mainly LDL.
Diet has very little effect on raising the levels of cholesterol in the blood, but good results have been found by using plant sterols to reduce levels.
Statins will reduce all cholesterol, both good and bad.
I hope this is of help May, at least you'll have something to discus with your doctor.
'Fore warned is for armed'

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top