Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 01:02 PM

Re: UK Can Stand Alone

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I believe that when we leave the EU it will collapse before long anyway.
Not just the lack of our subsidising it, but also other countries realising that if we can do it, they can do it too.
I think the EU as we know it is on the point of breaking up anyway, people just can't see it yet.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think the EU as we know it is on the point of breaking up anyway, people just can't see it yet.
Probably a lot of truth in this. The terrible debt situations of many EU countries has put the writing on the wall TBH.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 09:33 PM

Britain's Special Status!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Britain's special status.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	371   Click image for larger version

Name:	British Independence Day.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	372  
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It's amazing what the UK can do when it 'stands alone', it seems to bring out our spirit

jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 01:02 AM

As an ex-pom in Australia this is all very interesting.

If you had to put money on it, which side do you think will win the referendum?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Hi

Life outside the EU is not without it's downside.

The following is about Switzerland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35615604

The EU does retaliate it seems
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Life outside the EU is not without it's downside.

The following is about Switzerland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-35615604

The EU does retaliate it seems
Reading through that just makes me more determined that we should get out now while we can.

The article just rings of the EU dictatorial attitude that 'you will do what we say or else'. What was once a thriving free-trade area is becoming the Fourth Reich.

I think it would be to everyone's benefit if the whole thing collapsed. Yes, by all means start again, but as a purely free-trade organisation and nothing else.

Incidentally, I have just realised that we shall be on holiday - in Germany (the Black Forest) - on the day of the referendum. I hope we receive our postal vote papers before we set off.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 01:43 PM

Reading through that just makes me more determined that we should get out now while we can.

The article just rings of the EU dictatorial attitude that 'you will do what we say or else'. What was once a thriving free-trade area is becoming the Fourth Reich.

I think it would be to everyone's benefit if the whole thing collapsed. Yes, by all means start again, but as a purely free-trade organisation and nothing else.

Incidentally, I have just realised that we shall be on holiday - in Germany (the Black Forest) - on the day of the referendum. I hope we receive our postal vote papers before we set off.
Made me laugh that did - be careful when you go down in them woods
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 02:16 PM

Hi

Don't forget, if we vote out, you will be an illegal immigrant the day after.

Best get yourself a Syrian Passport so you can stay and finish your holiday.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2016, 12:02 PM

Letter in the Grauniad:

What did the EEC/EU ever do for us?

Not much, apart from:

providing 57% of our trade;
structural funding to areas hit by industrial decline;
clean beaches and rivers;
cleaner air;
lead free petrol;
restrictions on landfill dumping;
a recycling culture;
cheaper mobile charges;
cheaper air travel;
improved consumer protection and food labelling;
a ban on growth hormones and other harmful food additives;
better product safety;
single market competition bringing quality improvements and better industrial performance;
break up of monopolies;
Europe-wide patent and copyright protection;
no paperwork or customs for exports throughout the single market;
price transparency and removal of commission on currency exchanges across the eurozone;
freedom to travel, live and work across Europe;
funded opportunities for young people to undertake study or work placements abroad;
access to European health services;
labour protection and enhanced social welfare;
smoke-free workplaces;
equal pay legislation;
holiday entitlement;
the right not to work more than a 48-hour week without overtime; strongest wildlife protection in the world;
improved animal welfare in food production;
EU-funded research and industrial collaboration;
EU representation in international forums;
bloc EEA negotiation at the WTO;
EU diplomatic efforts to uphold the nuclear non-proliferation treaty;
European arrest warrant;
cross border policing to combat human trafficking, arms and drug smuggling;
counter terrorism intelligence;
European civil and military co-operation in post-conflict zones in Europe and Africa;
support for democracy and human rights across Europe and beyond;
investment across Europe contributing to better living standards and educational, social and cultural capital.

All of this is nothing compared with its greatest achievements: the EU has for 60 years been the foundation of peace between European neighbours after centuries of bloodshed. It furthermore assisted the extraordinary political, social and economic transformation of 13 former dictatorships, now EU members, since 1980. Now the union faces major challenges brought on by neoliberal economic globalisation, and worsened by its own systemic weaknesses. It is taking measures to overcome these.

We in the UK should reflect on whether our net contribution of £7bn out of total government expenditure of £695bn is good value. We must play a full part in enabling the union to be a force for good in a multipolar global future.
Simon Sweeney
Lecturer in international political economy, University of York

Personally I think Britain would be mad to leave Europe now (and I voted 'NO' in 1975) part of the problem has always been Britain's half hearted willingness to be a part of a United States of Europe and the very poor leadership offered by it's political elite from all parties. There are structural issues to be negotiated and sorted out but they can be.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top