Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 01:09 AM

Re: Whose responsibility is it?

Of course it's up to the mum to tell her daughter about periods - otherwise the poor girl would be frightened to death when they started.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:16 AM

Having been a high school teacher for 40 years, I also believe it should be both parents and schools but one thing the public needs to remember is that schools can only do so much if they are still to have enough time to teach the curriculum.

A lot of parents expect schools to do too much - education on sex, drugs, health, road safety, bullying, etc etc. The list goes on. If teachers have to do all those things how can they be expected to do everything else as well and improve educational standards - you can't create extra time in a day.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Watching the news tonight and there was a bit about girls not being taught soon enough at school about periods.

My first reaction was that this should be the parents' responsibility, so why blame schools? Ok, I accept that schools do make token efforts to teach children about various facts of life, but if I were a parent I would make sure I had discussed such things with my child in good time, and I would not want the school to do it for me.

So whose responsibility do you think it is - parents or school?
I think it ought to be a joint effort. Parents should be informed of the date/week when sexual education (sorry, can't think of the right term) will begin. The child should then be given a paper with general questions/answers which together with the parents should be discussed and acknowledged in a similar way that home work is done. That way the child will be introduced to the subject, with the parents knowing what is being taught, and having the opportunity of setting up what they (the parents) think are moral, family issues.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Parents firstly but it wouldn't hurt to include in biology.
I told my daughters and bought books for them about girls and boys puberty.
Neither told me anything!
I found a thin book on male genitals in the drawer, atop my underwear one morning. Never was a word spoken between me and my parents on the subject. As I recall, the book included no info on female organs at all. I guess I wasn't meant to know TOO much ... for fear of exiting me?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 04:37 AM

Parents for goodness sake !
Be a mother mother and prepare your daughter for this .
This is 2016 the age of the the iphone not putting modesty pants on piano legs !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Before I started secondary school, an all girls Ladies College, mothers were asked to explain to their daughters about periods and the facts of life in general. My mother, who could gave got into the Guinness book of Records for prudery, nearly died at the thought, and didn't explain it properly at all. She told me to tell my three younger sisters about periods etc, which really wasn't on.

Whilst parents should tell kids about the facts of life etc, I think the schools should cover the topics too to ensure it is done properly.

I explained everything to my three girls, in an age appropriate way, as soon as they started asking questions from about the age of three.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 10:26 AM

My children had a book called the 'Book of knowledge' it covered everything from space travel and dinosaurs to human reproduction.

I was always open with them and I think my sons knew as much about the female body as my daughter did and visa versa.

Its biology for crying out loud. Anyway we lived in the countryside they saw sheep lambing and cows calving there were no mysteries for them.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Welshie ->
has to be the mums responsibility first and foremost - i know i did with my two daughters
yes i do agree welshie...ofc its the parents who gives the advice ..at least theywill feel more relaxed with the conversation -to ask qs on it !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 11:38 AM

In an ideal world you are all right but some kids get to 16 without learning to use cutlery so how can we expect the parents to teach them about periods ?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 12:32 PM

If sex wasn't treated as a dirty subject and parents were open with their children, from when they were toddlers who asked questions, children would know and understand these things long before it happened.
I think it is the parents duty to explain things but, if children are brought up to think it is something you shouldn't talk freely about, then I expect they would feel more comfortable hearing it from a teacher.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top