Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 01:17 AM

Your rights when strangers take your picture in public.

A couple of weeks back our daughter was here visiting from back east (Ontario.)
The day she left, we took her to the airport.
I have a real hard time saying goodbye - so there were lots of tears involved.
That particular day, my mobility wasn't good (caused by brain AVM), and I had to use Winnie (my wheelchair).
When it was time for goodbyes, my daughter leaned down and gave me a huge hug, and of course the tears were rolling down my cheeks.

I didn't witness this next part, it's my husband's account of what happened.
Somebody, a complete stranger, was taking pictures of us saying our goodbyes.
My husband went over to them and politely asked them not to take pictures, and could they please delete any they may have taken.
The person who took them just walked away.
I have no idea if they made it on to social media. But it ticks me off that it's a possibility.

I have since found out that it is not a criminal offense here in Canada to post pictures on social media of anybody if they are taken in public. (I think there are different rules though as regards children, as there should be.)
The pictures that were taken were of a private moment of me and my daughter. Nobody except us should have the right to post them anywhere.
The way things are going privacy is becoming more and more a thing of the past.
I hate it.

Your thoughts?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:06 AM

Re: Your rights when strangers take your picture in public.

I agree it's not nice and I don't like it either but with the world being taken over by social media and every young (and some older) people on it incessantly, it's something we're going to have to live with whether we like it or not. It's one of the down sides of being taken over by technology and the smart phone becoming all present and all invasive.

Taking photos everywhere and of everyone is now a worldwide pass time. Just look at how people take no notice any more when they're told to switch off their phones in theatres and concerts etc and how they can't let them out of their hands for 10 seconds. Heaven knows what effect it will have on the next generation's brains.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:14 AM

What an unpleasant experience, LMBs, and what a very rude photographer.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:19 AM

Sadly we have to accept that some people have all the sensitivity of a brick .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 07:46 AM

I take lots of photos of people at events where they're in costume, but always ask if they mind, it's only polite to do so. If it's a crowd scene though I wouldn't.
However, if the people are part of a scene, say in a town and are in front of an interesting building, I don't, as it would be very difficult to ask them all.
When I was taking photos of a TV filming set, the people there said it was ok, it would have been impossible for them to stop everyone taking photos, also no chance of stopping them posting on Social Media.
What those people did to you was rude and intrusive and they should be ashamed LMB.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:37 AM

One wonders why anyone would wish to take photos of people with whom they are not acquainted, in the sort of situations described? It is particularly creepy if they take photos of children, and that definitely should be illegal.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
One wonders why anyone would wish to take photos of people with whom they are not acquainted, in the sort of situations described? It is particularly creepy if they take photos of children, and that definitely should be illegal.
Its not illegal to photograph people in public places, that includes children and policemen. If you intend to use the photo for commercial use then you would need a model release form.

And remember you are being filmed all the time by CCTV just about everywhere you go.

Street photography is a craft and when done well produces some amazing images.

I dont do people myself prefer wildlife, of course it would be good to ask someone but you then loose the candid nature of the shot.

There is an interesting project on Flickr called 100 Strangers,
its aimed at photographers overcoming their apprehensions. They are asked to approach a stranger and ask if they may take a photo and add a tag provided by the subject. Something like this is John, he used to be pilot.

I would never photograph children, but have on occasion taken a few of characters ive met
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 08:55 AM

The only photos I take of people are those of my nearest and dearest, I have no interest in taking phots of anyone else.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Good point. Why indeed? And where would they show such photos? It's fine to watch emotional farewells and think fondly of the people involved, but not photograph them. I can see no reason.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Good point. Why indeed? And where would they show such photos? It's fine to watch emotional farewells and think fondly of the people involved, but not photograph them. I can see no reason.
I think it creepy watching emotional farewells of people you don't know, why would anyone be interested in them, I certainly wouldn't?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top