Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:05 PM

Whose responsibility is it?

Watching the news tonight and there was a bit about girls not being taught soon enough at school about periods.

My first reaction was that this should be the parents' responsibility, so why blame schools? Ok, I accept that schools do make token efforts to teach children about various facts of life, but if I were a parent I would make sure I had discussed such things with my child in good time, and I would not want the school to do it for me.

So whose responsibility do you think it is - parents or school?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:08 PM

Re: Whose responsibility is it?

Parents firstly but it wouldn't hurt to include in biology.
I told my daughters and bought books for them about girls and boys puberty.
Neither told me anything!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:42 PM

It should be covered in science/biology or human studies, it can't be left to parents. Although I do believe it should be the parents not all can or want to do it.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:11 PM

I believe it is the responsibility of the parents, in this case the female would probably be the better person to explain it. I can’t understand why parents don’t discuss this with their children – same as they would have a discussion regarding drugs, alcohol etc. Prepare the kiddos by explaining how their bodies will change so they know what to expect.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Watching the news tonight and there was a bit about girls not being taught soon enough at school about periods.....
That actually surprised me!
I thought the opposite would've been more true these days.

I also think it is the parents responsibility first.
But the schools should also have a part in it.
That's actually how I found out!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:33 PM

I say Parents as well. Though my Mother couldn't talk about anything, if I wanted to know something I asked my Dad.
We did have classes at school in biology abut puberty though.
I told my Daughter & OH told our Son & we answered any questions. I wasn't going to be like my Mother.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
It should be covered in science/biology or human studies, it can't be left to parents. Although I do believe it should be the parents not all can or want to do it.

The OP was about young girls and their periods. It maybe true that some parents can't or won't explain to their daughters about this, but I'm completely with orangutan on this one.
I think, assuming the Mum is around, it is part of her role as a Mum to talk to her daughter about her periods.
If I had a daughter, I would feel quite hurt if she would rather talk to a teacher than me, partly because if she felt unable to talk to me about that, what else might she be afraid to come to me about?

I am not saying it should be a taboo subject in schools at all, but if she had questions or worries, I would rather her come to me.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:49 PM

I'm definitely for mothers telling their daughters about periods. It must be so much easier to explain in these these modern days than in our childhood when things were more prim and proper.
gardener
UK
gardener is male  gardener has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 11:54 PM

this is no different to any other responsibility a parent has for a child. Except that it is the mothers prerogative in this instance.

Parents should want to be involved in every aspect of a child's development & take every opportunity to put their values in every aspect of the development of their children.
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 12:43 AM

has to be the mums responsibility first and foremost - i know i did with my two daughters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top