Join for free
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Re: FRACKING - UK Govt trying to push it through!

I hope those in favour are 'right'
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I hope those in favour are 'right'
What's the worst that can happen Patsy?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:01 PM

I have already been a victim of TWO fracking earthquakes, for which Cuadrilla initially, and for nearly TWO years, denied responsibility.

Since modern large-scale fracking is relatively new in the UK, I believe, to quote Donald Rumsfeld:

There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know
There are 2,152 inland wells in the UK.

According to the Department of Energy and Climate Change, about 200 of these have been fracked.

In the USA, 25,000 wells are being drilled every year to be fracked in the pursuit of profit.

Scaling up any process increases the risk of malfunction.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
What's the worst that can happen Patsy?
For instance:

Pennsylvania Fracking Accident 2011

A Pennsylvania gas well operated by Chesapeake Energy erupted, sending thousands of gallons of chemical-laced and highly saline water spilling from the drill site, heading over containment berms, racing toward a tributary of a popular trout-fishing stream and forcing seven families nearby to temporarily evacuate their homes. It's the latest and possibly the most serious fracking accident in the controversial seven-year hunt to unleash natural gas from the Marcellus Shale, the biggest natural gas fracking target in the U.S., which underlies large parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and New York. The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) believes the cause of the accident—which occurred almost exactly a year after the BP rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico— was apparently a double dose of bad luck: mechanical failure coupled with bad weather.

The leak happened at the Atgas 2H well in rural Leroy Township, about 175 miles northwest of Philadelphia. According to state and company officials, the failure occurred late Tuesday night when Chesapeake was in the middle of a "frack job." The controversial practice, essential to the extraction of gas from shale, involves pumping up to a million gallons of water treated with biocides, lubricants, surfactants and stabilizers a mile or more into the ground at pressures exceeding 9000 psi. Officials investigating the leak believe they have pinpointed the initial cause of the accident: A steel coupling located beneath the well's blowout protector, but above ground, appears to have failed, allowing thousands (and perhaps tens of thousands) of gallons of contaminated water to gush out of the well. (The blowout protector is the same technology as device that failed in the case of the BP oil spill. It didn't fail here, but if it had, both natural gas and water would have spewed forth from the well. However above-ground wells are much easier to shut down than those deep underwater.)

There were no injuries to the crew, no explosions, and no methane was released into the air, which would have happened in the case of a blowout. But there was also no way to immediately shut off the flow of water. And there was a lot of water.

Marcellus wells typically regurgitate between 30 and 50 percent of the water pumped into them. In normal circumstances, it comes back in a manageable flow, and the well operators collect it in pits or tanks. In some parts of the country that waste water would then be injected deep underground. But in Pennsylvania, the geology is not suited for deep-well injection, and so the water is kept in pits and tanks where it is treated to remove chemicals that are added by the drillers. It also must be stripped of contaminants it picks up while underground: bromides, chlorides and some heavy metals. The industry estimates that 70 to 90 percent of the time captured water is reused in another well. However, a small portion of the remaining water is trucked out of state to deep-injection wells, and the rest is diluted and released by treatment facilities into the state's rivers and streams.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
I am amazed ! I am actually horrified at how many people seem to be in favour of fracking! I suspect that it isn't me that has been misled by publicity and media propaganda!

When I have a little more time to string some words together, I will endeavour to write an explanation about why I think fracking is totally the wrong thing to do on this comparatively tiny island of ours. I hope you will read my words carefully and think very hard about what I have to say.
I look forward to reading your post Gilly. Anything that you have read in the Media about Fracking is based on one man's interpretation of the operation, and most don't even bother to research the facts. At the end of the day their opinions are about as valid as anyone on here except they make a living from journalism and if their piece isn't going to shock anybody it won't get printed.

It's a good job there wasn't such thing as the Internet and the media when someone decided to dig up and burn coal. No steam engines, no electricity and no Gas - It used to be made from coal in those days, and countless other things were a byproduct of coal. Generally speaking, Man has to burn something so where do you obtain the materials?

We are getting more adventurous with the creation of energy; Wind Turbines, Hydro Electricity, Solar Panels and Nuclear Power Stations, not to mention harnessing the tides. And if we stick at it I'm sure we'll get there. But we are not there yet, every year the population increases and so does the demand for energy and we will be coming up short in just a few years. Fracking could be the stop gap to keeping the lights on until then.

Yes, there will be casualties environmentally, but isn't there with any form of producing energy. Question is, how far would you go to keeping the lights on, or keeping someone alive in Hospital, providing street lighting, heating your home, or just using your computer to comment on a forum. I know, lets live in a cave without the need for Electricity and just light a fire to keep warm and cook......Now what can we burn?
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:23 PM

Thank you Omah for your very informative post. Perhaps those in favour of fracking will be caused to think again, and very carefully.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:24 PM

I don't look forward to fracking....but I don't relish the prospect of no 24-hour power supply either and all that would entail.
When it comes to a choice between the two I will take fracking every time !!!
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Sunlight can power the world. Burning carbon is killing it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

04-02-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I have already been a victim of TWO fracking earthquakes, for which Cuadrilla initially, and for nearly TWO years, denied responsibility.

Since modern large-scale fracking is relatively new in the UK, I believe, to quote Donald Rumsfeld:

There are 2,152 inland wells in the UK.

According to the Department of Energy and Climate Change, about 200 of these have been fracked.

In the USA, 25,000 wells are being drilled every year to be fracked in the pursuit of profit.

Scaling up any process increases the risk of malfunction.
Originally Posted by Omah ->
For instance:

Pennsylvania Fracking Accident 2011
I could post tens of thousands of incidents where accidents have happened while gathering coal. Oil drilling has not been without loss of life or pollution, and dare I even suggest the hardship caused by damaged or faulty Nuclear Power Stations. But it doesn't alter the fact that you like driving your car and coming home to a nice warm house. How would you provide energy for the people, and from where Omah?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-02-2016, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How would you provide energy for the people, and from where Omah?
What's the use of fracking energy when we run out of water because fracking pumps millions of gallons underground then pumps it back up as toxic waste, not fit for human use of any kind?

What's the use of fracking energy when people can't use the roads because the heavy trucks required for fracking support have destroyed the tarmac?

What's the use of fracking energy when I discover I'm dying from the effect of carcinogens inhaled from gas escapes from the fracking installations which surround me?

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top