Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Re: British Gas Homecare.

Originally Posted by Realist ->

I lived in my house for about 20 years. Still have an old style boiler in the airing cupboard which is going just fine thanks. NEVER had it serviced, never had any problems with it.

These corporations will always find ways to part people from their money and they all use the classic "Campaign of Fear" to do it.
Whilst I agree with the second part here, it's not wise to leave a boiler too long without a service - especially 20 years!. Part of the service is to check that it's burning cleanly, to check the flue and check for carbon monoxide leaks / gas leaks.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 02:16 AM

oh is that why realist thinks he's real??
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 07:32 AM

Was in the Gas industry for years.

It is a rip off.

Sorry but any one who takes out this insurance con is short of tupence or stupidly rich
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:11 PM

how many people did you rip off exactly galty over all those years??
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2018, 12:42 PM

I have always done my own repairs so have never belonged to any schemes. I retrained as a plumber so have all the necessary tools but cannot touch gas obviously.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:50 PM

In spite of the fact that I'm more than capable of dealing with my own "wet work", we still pay Vaillant homeserve since there is no way I'll touch gas, plus the added bonus of my boiler being insured under the scheme for all parts and labour if it goes awry.

In our last house, the boiler packed in and the independent who we called tried to charge a ridiculous amount claiming many things that needed doing. Stuffed that off and signed up to a BG contract. The only thing wrong was a dodgy part which costs about £12 and would have taken 10 mins to replace, but which was behind the gas chamber enclosure and was thus something I wasn't prepared to do.

On the plus side, as time progresses, gas boilers will become a thing of the past as they are (as I understand) outlawed in new builds. Where the electricity will come from to power the things is, as usual, a matter of debate!!
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
In spite of the fact that I'm more than capable of dealing with my own "wet work", we still pay Vaillant homeserve since there is no way I'll touch gas, plus the added bonus of my boiler being insured under the scheme for all parts and labour if it goes awry.

In our last house, the boiler packed in and the independent who we called tried to charge a ridiculous amount claiming many things that needed doing. Stuffed that off and signed up to a BG contract. The only thing wrong was a dodgy part which costs about £12 and would have taken 10 mins to replace, but which was behind the gas chamber enclosure and was thus something I wasn't prepared to do.

On the plus side, as time progresses, gas boilers will become a thing of the past as they are (as I understand) outlawed in new builds. Where the electricity will come from to power the things is, as usual, a matter of debate!!
Not sure that's true.
However, the boilers in new builds do now have to be made to a differing standard, with a minimum efficiency.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 11:43 AM

I had a gas boiler maintenance package with BG.

Each time they came to do the service they told me that I needed to have the system flushed out.

As years went by they became more and more insistent.

So I got a private company to come and do the flushing out - half of the B G price and very efficient.

Then, one day, I found I had a failure which meant I had hot water but no central heating.

I know, everyone is shouting out "we know what that is!"

BG came out four times, in the middle of winter, and each time a different engineer tried something and then left.

I went out and bought a 3 way valve, myself, and fitted it.

Bingo! (but you knew that already!)

I, now, have the boiler serviced annually, by a private company, and all is well!

BG were not surprised when I rang to cancel my contract.

Since then I've heard it said that good plumbers/Central Heating engineer came make plenty of money without having to go to work for BG...and the good ones do just that!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Not sure that's true.
However, the boilers in new builds do now have to be made to a differing standard, with a minimum efficiency.
You are correct. My error.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top