Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 05:55 PM

State pension to rise at least 4% next year

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/10...-will-you-get/

Pensioners would see their payments rise by up to £351 a year.

The state pension is protected by the ‘triple lock’, which means it increases each April by the greater of price inflation, earnings growth or 2.5%.

While September’s inflation figures are yet to be released, pensioners are currently on track to earn a 4% bump in line with workers for the second year running.

Pensioners who are entitled to the full new single-tier state pension will be paid £175.40 a week from 6 April 2020 – up from £168.60.

The total income for this group will jump to £9,118.20, up from £8,767.20 this year.

Pensioners that reached state pension age before April 2016, and receive the basic state pension, will see their weekly payment rise from £129.20 to £134.35 per week from next year.

As a result, their total income will rise from £6,718.40 to £6,986.20 a year.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:09 PM

Re: State pension to rise at least 4% next year

4% ..Pah ... I'm seriously thinking about voting Labour.

3 or 4 years ago you could buy lunch for a fiver, now a tenner, there's something going on. There is bound to be massive inflation because of this B bollox. Lunch: £20?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Magic money tree that did not exist has suddenly become extant. Wonder why?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:46 PM

Both of you should read the article to see how the State Pension is calculated .....
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Both of you should read the article to see how the State Pension is calculated .....
.. based on false inflation percentages. They say inflation is 2%, 4% whatever, when we know the true figure is 20-40% .... here in London at least.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

09-10-2019, 01:32 AM

https://www.moneywise.co.uk/news/201...head-inflation

Since the triple lock was introduced in 2011, state pensions have outstripped both prices and earnings.

Insurer Aegon has calculated that a single person receiving the old basic state pension – £97.65 back in April 2010 – is now receiving £129.20, an increase of 32%, while prices have increased by 24% and average earnings by only 20%.

However, the triple lock is an expensive arrangement for the government and there is no guarantee that it will continue beyond 2022.

Government figures indicate that if the triple lock continues indefinitely, pension spending is set to rise by £35 billion over 40 years from 2020-21. Without it, or under just earnings indexation, the increase will be only £21 billion.

Steven Cameron, pensions director at Aegon, comments: “Based on the latest earnings growth figures, it looks like state pensioners can look forward to an inflation-busting 4% increase in their state pension from next April.

“However, these inflation-busting increases do come at a significant cost. The state pension is not funded in advance so pensions are funded on a ‘pay as you go’ basis from today’s workers’ national insurance contributions.

"With the prospect of an early general election, it will be interesting to see where each party stands on commitments to retaining the triple lock for the next five years.”
A recent Parliamentary report proposed the state pension should instead rise in line with average earnings to ensure parity with working people.

In terms of what pensioners can expect if this change goes through, it’s possible that the state pension could rise at a slower rate, as there’ll be no guarantee of a minimum 2.5% increase.

But ..... the idea behind the triple lock was to protect pensioners from meaningless increases in the state pension, such as the 75p a week rise in 2000, and to make sure their income was not eroded by the gradual increase in the cost of living.

And ..... there are over 13 million recipients of State Pension - which political party wants to incur their wrath over another 75p pension rise ..... ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...reform.society

Baroness Castle, the veteran Labour pensions campaigner, accused the government of doing "just what the Tories did" in allowing the relative value of the contributory state pension to decline steadily.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

20-10-2019, 11:19 AM

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/10...WS_EM_18102019

Millions of pensioners will receive a pay rise of 3.9% in April 2020, in line with average earnings – equating to an increase of up to £343.20 for the year.

The 3.9% rise was confirmed after the Office for National Statistics (ONS) revealed today that inflation remained at 1.7% in September. The state pension payment is protected by the ‘triple lock’ guarantee which means it increases each April by the greater of September’s price inflation, earnings growth or 2.5%.

This year, the highest measure was average earnings, guaranteeing a 3.9% boost on 6 April 2020.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Hi

Absolutely disgusting.

We have not paid for our Pensions, it is simply not right that we put the burden on our kids.

This is pure bribery.

I can pay my own way in life.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

20-10-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Absolutely disgusting.

We have not paid for our Pensions, it is simply not right that we put the burden on our kids.

This is pure bribery.

Good for you - others depend on an income from their NI conributions during their working life - myself and my employers contributed an equivalent of £250,000 so I feel entitled to claim £7,000 a year .....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Absolutely disgusting.

This is pure bribery.

Well our parents pensions were a burden on us when we were younger!

My father died before he was old enough for state pension, so there was no return for the NI he paid or what I paid when working full time all my working life.

I have no children, yet I have paid towards the education of other people's children.

Can you explain to me why our children shouldn't have to pay towards our generation's pensions?

You often let us know that you have a good income, but many aren't so fortunate! You also told us that both your children went to work abroad, so I wonder how much they have contributed towards pensions in this country?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top