Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:44 PM

Donut economy

Please can someone explain in simple terms what exactly is a donut economy?

I understand it means no growth ,sort of sustainable ,does that mean just a standing still economy ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:41 AM

Re: Donut economy

I'd never come across this term before. But it looks like it can be summed up by "you cannot have your cake and eat it" and any square pegs who do not comply will be hammed into round holes whether they like it or not.

A form of communism backed by ecological idealism. Makes sense but impossible to implement unless you enslave the entire global population.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:47 AM

It has a hole in it ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:50 AM

I think the hole is meant to represent unmet need.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I think the hole is meant to represent unmet need.
Oh - I thought it where all the money fell out!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

11-12-2019, 12:56 AM

Perhaps that's where all the money will disappear. Like into a black hole. People will be paid with doughnuts and each new doughnut will have less value therefore people will want less of everything.

They used to always use the mars bar example when describing marginal utility. You can only have so much of something good before you want to throw up after the fifth mars bar and the slope starts curving down....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:32 AM

Just found this article .
Must say I’m not much wiser I need to read it again tomorrow

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...economic-model
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:58 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut_(economic_model)

The Doughnut, or Doughnut economics, is a visual framework for sustainable development – shaped like a doughnut – combining the concept of planetary boundaries with the complementary concept of social boundaries. The framework was proposed to regard the performance of an economy by the extent to which the needs of people are met without overshooting Earth's ecological ceiling. The name derives from the shape of the diagram, i.e. a disc with a hole in the middle. The centre hole of the model depicts the proportion of people that lack access to life's essentials (healthcare, education, equity and so on) while the crust represents the ecological ceilings (planetary boundaries) that life depends on and must not be overshot.

Consequently, an economy is considered prosperous when all twelve social foundations are met without overshooting any of the nine ecological ceilings. This situation is represented by the area between the two rings, namely the safe and just space for humanity. The diagram was developed by Oxford economist Kate Raworth in the Oxfam paper A Safe and Just Space for Humanity and elaborated upon in her book Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist.
Overshoot and Shortfall

New to me and interesting .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

11-12-2019, 07:01 AM

Thank you for the charts, Omah. It is new to me too - and they make it much clearer.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 08:01 AM

That's the problem, when folks want to understand Doughnuts, but have ignored "Pies" for years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top