Join for free
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Who or what?

As a thread related to the "are you bothering to vote.." one, are you voting for a particular candidate, or for a particular party?

As we all know, MPs, once elected, are fully entitled to jump ship from the party to whom they have sworn affiliation (and indeed were financed by throughout the election), maintain their seat, be paid in full, afford the luxuries of the generous expense allowances and be awarded contributions towards a pension.

Therefore, what is the point of voting for a political party when an individual person can ignore the outcome anyway?

The law should be changed to prevent this.

As indeed it should be changed to stop the current situation that the speaker of the house never has his/her own seat contested through the current consensus of all major parties.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Re: Who or what?

The system needs changing.
Here we have Tory or Lib dem to choose from. Labour never gets many votes and there's another no one has ever heard of.
I don't think I'll survive another Tory government as I've been hit from all sides from them since they took over.
I have to vote Lib dem.
I think I should be able to vote separately for which party I want to be in power and which local MP does the best job.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Bring back Screaming Lord Sutch!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 12:42 PM

My local Labour MP is Diana Johnson. She is very hard-working and unbelievably, rather honest for a politician.
The trouble is that if I vote for her it's really another tick in the box for Corbyn, so unfortunately I can't vote for her. This is the biggest problem that traditional Labour supporters face, especially in the north of England.
I'll be voting Brexit even though their policy is made up of only one pledge. We'd get Brexit done but then what happens?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2019, 02:46 PM

Unfortunately I don't really trust the local MPs any more than I trust the Governments. The one time I had to get a local MP involved (and he was high profile at the time) he was absolutely useless. He totally ignored my problem and banged on about how he had got a crossing installed.

Yes they are good at opening swimming baths and turning the xmas lights on but around here at least, there are still potholes, cluttered culverts, speeding drivers and vandalism. I don't actually know what they do tbh.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top