Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 06:34 AM

Re: Hula Hoop

Is yours weighted? I bought a cheap plastic one and it's impossible to keep going. A weighted one's much easier, but the trouble with those is, when they fall onto your hips and knees they leave great bruises - well, it did for me. Also, the foam padding came away in places so it didn't last very long!

It's good exercise though, and good fun once you get the rhythm going.
ToffeeCup
Hertfordshire
ToffeeCup is female 

09-06-2015, 07:48 AM

If you have used a hula hoop when young you may well find the experience will automatically come back to you as I found out.

I bought one about 5 years ago an ordinary light weight grown up size, I saw a few hanging in a cheap card shop. I use it for fun and play a cd as I go.

I have spoke to a few girls recently regarding using a hoop because they were interested (they generally jog). They tried it but couldn't master it at that one moment and gave up but one of them was interested in learning so I showed her and she was getting the knack.

It is a slow subtle movement with the hips - not to work too hard as the hoop will drop, so keep a rhythm that keeps the hoop up and keep the feet slightly apart for a good comfortable balance, with practice I am sure you would be able do it, it shouldn't hurt your hips being a subtle movement. Give yourself time, when you get the knack you will enjoy it.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 09:07 AM

Thank you for the tips. I was no good with one as a child but I will have to keep practicing!

My son who is a personal trainer picked it up and did it straightaway. Said he'd seen an instructor teaching it at the gym who said to keep tapping one foot.
ToffeeCup
Hertfordshire
ToffeeCup is female 

09-06-2015, 10:00 AM

Hello,Cheshire Cat, I think you'll be able to do it when you find your rhythm. Stand up straight, move your legs slightly apart where you feel happily balanced and comfortable, very slightly move your hips round - No wiggling. The hoop will actually swirl on your waist as you move, you will get the idea of the rhythm and will drop the hoop a few times whilst practicing.

Tapping one foot! I've only got two
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 03:18 PM

I was quite good at hula hooping in my teens .... but that was when I had a waistline for the hoop to work on ...
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 03:36 PM

At School we used to have Hulu Hoops, but my friend let me borrow hers for a while, but I wasn't any good at it.

IT'S ALL TO DO WITH YOUR HIPS!!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 03:42 PM

You have to have the knack of it, my missus was great at it, not sure if they make them big enough now for her to have another go at it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
You have to have the knack of it, my missus was great at it, not sure if they make them big enough now for her to have another go at it.
Ooh Jem, that was a bit below the belt .... just hope Phyllis doesn't see it
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2015, 11:19 PM

Still haven't mastered it, I keep trying!!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2015, 08:18 PM

It's all down to the hip action...keep practicing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top