Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:25 AM

What is it about me and animals?

I believe animals should be treated as the species they are, not pampered or treated like humans. Having said that I will intervene if an animal is being treated in what I consider an unnecessarily cruel way.

Animals seem to find me fascinating for some unknown reason. Dogs and cats approach me and want my attention on a regular basis. I have also had some very weird encounters with other species over the years.

Our previous property, an old farmhouse in a very rural area, was next to a meadow where a pheasant shoot was held. I often used to walk through the meadow as there was a public right of way. Usually the pheasants scattered if approached, but on one occasion, whilst all its mates disappeared, one pheasant came up to me, and accompanied me on walk, chatting away in pheasant speak. I was gobsmacked to say the least. It came home with me and stood outside the French windows looking in on me. It was happy to pose for a photo, too! Fortunately my husband was a witness to this amazing occurrence, otherwise I would have thought I had made it up! The pheasant went away a while later, but when I went out in the meadow the next day it saw me from a distance and came running up to me, but didn't accompany me home that time. I never saw it again.

We had a bird table on the patio, which was beloved by the local squirrel population of the neighbourhood who liked to feast there. One day, when I was sitting in my husband's study, which had patio doors from where I could see the bird table, which was empty. A disappointed squirrel came over to the doors stood on its hind legs and knocked on them. I couldn't believe it, I did take a photo of it before being obliging and putting more food on the bird table.

A butterfly flew onto my hand and was obliging enough to pose for a photo before being about its business.

I am rather phobic where mice and rats are concerned. But on one occasion, just after we moved into our present home, I found an attractive looking dormouse with big ears sitting on the pavement. It didn't run away when I approached, so it would have been rude not to have had a chat with it, which I did. Fearing for its safety from the neighbourhood feline population, I managed to persuade it to be on its way, hopefully to a place of safety.

I attach photos of the pheasant and butterfly, but sadly appear to have missed placed the one of the squirrel, which is very irritating.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0147.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Butterfly.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	2743  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 10:40 AM

Re: What is it about me and animals?

My mum hated animals, but they always made a bee line for her,we came to the conclusion when our feral kittens wanted to actually sit on her lap, at that stage we had only got within three feet of them before they panicked, that she ignored them so they felt safer. If you like an animal you tend to watch it. If you don't you ignore them.

Animals generally like calm people so could be you are just very calm even.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 11:00 AM

a nice read Tara ,ive only been followed by Cows and Horses .
A Pheasant is on my list to photograph ,lovely colours on them .
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I believe animals should be treated as the species they are, not pampered or treated like humans. Having said that I will intervene if an animal is being treated in what I consider an unnecessarily cruel way.

Animals seem to find me fascinating for some unknown reason. Dogs and cats approach me and want my attention on a regular basis. I have also had some very weird encounters with other species over the years.

Our previous property, an old farmhouse in a very rural area, was next to a meadow where a pheasant shoot was held. I often used to walk through the meadow as there was a public right of way. Usually the pheasants scattered if approached, but on one occasion, whilst all its mates disappeared, one pheasant came up to me, and accompanied me on walk, chatting away in pheasant speak. I was gobsmacked to say the least. It came home with me and stood outside the French windows looking in on me. It was happy to pose for a photo, too! Fortunately my husband was a witness to this amazing occurrence, otherwise I would have thought I had made it up! The pheasant went away a while later, but when I went out in the meadow the next day it saw me from a distance and came running up to me, but didn't accompany me home that time. I never saw it again.

We had a bird table on the patio, which was beloved by the local squirrel population of the neighbourhood who liked to feast there. One day, when I was sitting in my husband's study, which had patio doors from where I could see the bird table, which was empty. A disappointed squirrel came over to the doors stood on its hind legs and knocked on them. I couldn't believe it, I did take a photo of it before being obliging and putting more food on the bird table.

A butterfly flew onto my hand and was obliging enough to pose for a photo before being about its business.

I am rather phobic where mice and rats are concerned. But on one occasion, just after we moved into our present home, I found an attractive looking dormouse with big ears sitting on the pavement. It didn't run away when I approached, so it would have been rude not to have had a chat with it, which I did. Fearing for its safety from the neighbourhood feline population, I managed to persuade it to be on its way, hopefully to a place of safety.

I attach photos of the pheasant and butterfly, but sadly appear to have missed placed the one of the squirrel, which is very irritating.
Pheasant whisperer?
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 11:18 AM

I tend to gravitate more towards people who love animals than do not.

My mum was never keen on dogs or cats but as soon as a new arrival turned up she was smitten

We had all sorts in our house on growing up.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 12:20 PM

I had a friend who really disliked dogs, especially wet dogs! Yet dogs always made their way over to her, wagging their tail. Her face was of disgust and she would subtlety push them away!
I always think anyone who loves animals cannot be such a bad person?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 12:32 PM

I don't dislike animals, I am just not sentimental about the things.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
a nice read Tara ,ive only been followed by Cows and Horses .
A Pheasant is on my list to photograph ,lovely colours on them .

Ha ! That brings back memories of my in-laws beef cattle farm. Off over the gates and across the fields to take the children fishing in the river, one day. Husband had taken the eldest son earlier and I followed later with the younger.
Blasted cows came chasing us. I didn't know whether to throw my son over the gate first or for me to jump first and drag him up. Split second decisions !
Really frightening at the time. There was a bull in the field too.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 01:01 PM

You never cease to surprise me Tara....I think there is more to you than most people see....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->

I enjoyed your OP Tarantula. I too have had a butterfly land on me, on my bare arm. I think they do it after moisture on the skin.
I have had a Bank Vole on my hand as well, it was on a foot path, so I bent down & it ran onto my hand.

Dogs greet me wherever I go & cat's & even horses. I love animals.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top