Join for free
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Who's deciding how the law should be interpreted?

This is the official list of retailers allowed to open...

Vets and pet shops are included...
We know that the public are advised to only shop for essentials and to take precautions....but to my knowledge the law doesn't specify what you can buy from their premises if they are allowed to trade.
In that case could anyone tell me why when shopping certain shops are restricting what you may purchase?

I have been refused wild bird seed..."because its not essential" (It's ok to buy budgie seed though) And the same with a rabbit hutch because "It's not an essential purchase"

If the law states we can trade with these shops...Why are they deciding what is and is not 'Essential'?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 02:22 PM

Re: Who's deciding how the law should be interpreted?

I must agree that does seem odd Poohdog.
If a pet shop is open to sell pet food, I don't really see why they won't serve pet rabbit food.

I suppose at a pinch, at least the wild birds are free to find their own, but domestic pets and rabbits shut in hutches can't!

Perhaps it is just that paraticular shop, do you think?
Have you tried a bigger shop, like Pets @ Home or similar?
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 02:25 PM

Two of the larger retailers...and that was a rabbit hutch they denied...they were quite happy to sell rabbit food.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
Two of the larger retailers...and that was a rabbit hutch they denied...they were quite happy to sell rabbit food.

Oh I see. Sorry, I misunderstood.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by poohdog ->
This is the official list of retailers allowed to open...

Vets and pet shops are included...
We know that the public are advised to only shop for essentials and to take precautions....but to my knowledge the law doesn't specify what you can buy from their premises if they are allowed to trade.
In that case could anyone tell me why when shopping certain shops are restricting what you may purchase?

I have been refused wild bird seed..."because its not essential" (It's ok to buy budgie seed though) And the same with a rabbit hutch because "It's not an essential purchase"

If the law states we can trade with these shops...Why are they deciding what is and is not 'Essential'?
I suppose it is common sense,
..people can buy food for existing pets.
..wild birds in the spring have access to food
..selling a rabbit hutch may encourage people to travel and break the 'distancing rule' to buy a rabbit.

I am aware that people have been travelling all over the place to buy chickens to have in their gardens at this time, I am sure many of these people won't have a clue about keeping chickens.
The same could apply to rabbits or any other pets purchase at this time to occupy bored humans.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-04-2020, 02:56 PM

I agree about the purchase of chickens, Meg.
Thought the same meself.

Some probably hope for an egg supply without having a clue of their needs.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top