Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Re: EU proposes ending daylight saving

Hi

One of the original reasons for the clock change was agriculture, now obsolete, the tractors can work 24/7 now.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am sick of EU dictators eroding our traditions!
It is a crazy tradition, imo.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 03:21 PM

DST is NOT a tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

The New Zealand entomologist George Hudson first proposed modern DST. Hudson's shift-work job gave him leisure time to collect insects and led him to value after-hours daylight. In 1895 he presented a paper to the Wellington Philosophical Society proposing a two-hour daylight-saving shift, and after considerable interest was expressed in Christchurch, he followed up with an 1898 paper.

Many publications credit DST proposal to the prominent English builder and outdoorsman William Willett, who independently conceived DST in 1905 during a pre-breakfast ride, when he observed with dismay how many Londoners slept through a large part of a summer day.

An avid golfer, Willett also disliked cutting short his round at dusk. His solution was to advance the clock during the summer months, a proposal he published two years later.

The Liberal Party member of parliament (MP) Robert Pearce took up Willett's proposal, introducing the first Daylight Saving Bill to the House of Commons on February 12, 1908.

William Sword Frost, mayor of Orillia, Ontario, introduced daylight saving time in the municipality during his tenure from 1911 to 1912.

Starting on April 30, 1916, the German Empire and its World War I ally Austria-Hungary introduced DST (German: Sommerzeit) as a way to conserve coal during wartime. Britain, most of its allies, and many European neutrals soon followed suit. Russia and a few other countries waited until the next year, and the United States adopted daylight saving in 1918.

Broadly speaking, most jurisdictions abandoned daylight saving time in the years after the war ended in 1918 (with some notable exceptions including Canada, the UK, France, and Ireland). However, many different places adopted it for periods of time during the following decades and it became common during World War II. It became widely adopted, particularly in North America and Europe, starting in the 1970s as a result of the 1970s energy crisis.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Since this latest idea emanates from the European Parliament and we are supposedly leaving the EU then why isn't someone telling the EU to 'sod off'!!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Don't all be getting excited, we are leaving the EU remember
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Terrible if it actually happens
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Although we are (hopefully) leaving the EU, and I am as keen to do so as anyone here, I don't discount the possibility of our agreeing - independently - with something they propose providing it is to our own advantage, and forgetting about DST appeals to me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:53 PM

It's strange that the EU is suddenly coming up with some sensible ideas after all these years. Could it be because we are leaving I wonder?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's strange that the EU is suddenly coming up with some sensible ideas after all these years. Could it be because we are leaving I wonder?
Barmy is still whingeing about the NI/Eire border.

I've no objection, of course, as long as the EU pay for its installation and police it!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I think part of the reason for continuing with the clocks going backwards and forwards is to do with kids going to school/coming home from school in the dark.
Kids don't walk to school anymore do they?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top