Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 01:40 PM

We Must Stand Together

Those were the words uttered by David Cameron in his speech following the murder in Woolwich.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/david...113504648.html

He highlighted that acts such as what happened there 'will only bring us together and make us stronger'. He then went on to praise the Cub Pack leader who confronted the attacker and said 'it signified how communities will stand against this type of terrorism' but she was the only one who did, everyone else stood watching or filmed it.

Is this yet more empty rhetoric from the Government about the state that the UK is in and what the Government can, or will, do about it?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Re: We Must Stand Together

I noticed that you have just started a thread about the death penalty ben-varrey and I don't think there is any other answer other than the death penalty for crimes of this horrendous nature. There is no cause in this world that can justify this barbarity and I honestly believe that people who commit these atrocities should forfeit their own lives. It matters not to me whether the crimes are a result of being under the influence of drugs, a religion, a cult, because they are insane or whatever. Cameron is saying we should all stand together and I think this call for unity should include petitioning for the reinstating and implementation of the death penalty in cases like this. There is no deterrent adequate enough to prevent these things happening, but society should have the right to, and be able to, eliminate these evil people permanently.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 02:07 PM

Agree 100 per cent Rena - if only this could happen, I for one would be happier to know that was the consequence.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 02:09 PM

Karen - maybe he also refers to reprisal acts, which have already occurred. I hate, when this happens - solves nothing !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 02:59 PM

The cub leader was very brave but in the pictures I have seen two more ladies were just as brave trying at first to help the poor man and then talking to the attacker trying to get him to give up his weapon. So 3 very brave ladies all stood together, a start we all have to follow IMO as standing together is all we can do really.

We also need to help the Muslim community stand up to this, from what I was told when chatting last night their religion doesn't condone this, they are told to protect the non believers as they may one day either become a believer themselves or bring a new Muslim into the world. They believe in converting us not killing us.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 03:37 PM

I agree Rena, the death penalty should be brought back for the worst cases of murder.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 04:02 PM

I also agree that the Death penalty be brought back.So what do we do.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 06:40 PM

Start an e-petition, if you get so many thousands of signatures they have to discuss it in parliament. I think you have to go on House of Commons website.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->

Is this yet more empty rhetoric from the Government about the state that the UK is in and what the Government can, or will, do about it?

In a word .... YES
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2013, 07:09 PM

No death penalty for these guys ~ it's what they wanted.
Death or suicide by Police ... or whatever it's called. Isn't that what they intended ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top