Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 10:01 PM

Re: Language around race

I don't understand why we are disgusted or amused that other cultures eat every part of an animal. We do that ourselves in ready meals or our pets do. It's not that long ago people used to have fried brains or tripe as standard. Every part of the animal was eaten.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
There are very many Chinese people here and Iīve yet to meet one who is rude or unpleasant. They are friendly, helpful and very pleasant. I don't know who referred to them as sub human" but I do think itīs a horrible thing to say. Then again I see people of other nationalities being described in a derogatory way on this forum and I donīt think that is acceptable either.
It was part of a discussion about them leaving baby girls to die. I frankly can't see how we have been any better in our history. Particularly when it comes to cruelty to children.

I was just shocked by comments on that thread that we should leave all the starving African children to die because it's not our problem and they "breed too much".

But people should say what they think.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=Morticia;1114999]It does tend to raise that old, over flogged question of what constitutes free speech doesn't it... or what is unacceptable.

I tend toward the camp that allows the right to reply, even if it means I'm occasionally surprised at what I read and see someone having to duck as a missile heads their way.[/QUOTE]

Isn't this what makes it exciting to participate in vigorous discussion Morty....
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2017, 11:23 PM

I don't like censorship, I don't like racists, but there are lots of other things I don't like. But unless there is dialogue between us all how can we alter their misguided use of the language.
Better to call how parts of Chinese culture mistreats food dogs,or how parts their culture prefer male children as a sub-human practice, than the entire population and various groups in that vast nation are labeled as sub-human.
There is no problem with them eating dogs, but the treatment of them is extremely cruel.
I don't believe that women dispose of the child they have carried for 9 months easily............and to think that they do.......is lacking human compassion.....could even be called sub-human.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 01:30 AM

Is this another job interview or can anyone join in?

I think in Cardiff we have always been more accepting of other cultures. I never gave it a second thought to be honest. Cardiff has always had a history of multicultralism because of its trade throughout the world....

In school , employment I worked with so many nationalities to me everyone was the same.

If people do not travel then you do not tend to mix with other cultures in their own country and get to see how it is often very different,

I did have a smile though as I thought about the Monty Python song I Like Chinese
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
There have been several times recently I've winced at some comment about race but seeing the Chinese described as sub human has made me feel very uncomfortable indeed.

Is it me or is some of this really not on ? Our forum has had its problems and I really don't want this to become another one !

I've always thought we are lucky to be born here, lucky we never have to make the choices some people have to around the world to make our way in this troubled world. It's not them fair to judge others and use language about them like that IMO.

If it's just me finding this uncomfortable I'll just fade slowly away as it gets worse but it would be great if we could all think about the luck we have and not think we are so superior to others we can use language like that.
There are some very unpleasant racist comments made on this forum, from time to time, which should be cracked down upon, imo.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 09:32 AM

I don't think that the person who made that comment is a racist I think just a person who abhors cruelty especially to animals and children.
Many of us can empathise with that - it was an unfortunate description you cannot generalise on a whole people of course there are very kind decent people of all races .

However let's not throw the baby out with the bath water and ignore the wider issues .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
There are some very unpleasant racist comments made on this forum, from time to time, which should be cracked down upon, imo.
My God, as offences go I would think the odd 'Racist' comment is way down Azz's list of priorities.....
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
My God, as offences go I would think the odd 'Racist' comment is way down Azz's list of priorities.....
That would be awful if that were true. Racism is one of the nastiest crimes!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
That would be awful if that were true. Racism is one of the nastiest crimes!
Sometimes, it's a lot to do with some people twisting others innocent remarks into something they are not!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top