Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 06:58 PM

Patterdale mountain rescuer seriously injured in 150m fall/campers fined

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-55970536

Two campers have been fined for breaching lockdown after a mountain rescue volunteer was seriously injured in a fall while going to their aid.

The volunteer, a man in his 60s, fell 150m (500ft) while responding to reports of one of the campers suffering chest pains in the Lake District in the early hours of Saturday.

Patterdale Mountain Rescue said he suffered "significant injuries" and is in a serious condition in hospital.

Cumbria Police fined each camper £200.

The force said one man from Liverpool and another from Leicester were camping in breach of coronavirus rules at Red Screes above Kirkstone Pass.
Morons on mountains .....

Their selfish irresponsibility has now left a rescuer with life-changing injuries .....

£200 is not enough .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 07:02 PM

Re: Patterdale mountain rescuer seriously injured in 150m fall/campers fined

The stupidity of some people I agree a fine of £200 is not enough it should be £2,000.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 07:14 PM

I hope the rescuer is going to be alright. I agree with the paltry fine - these people need to be severely punished, so they learn not to do it again. Mind you, if they cared at all, they wouldn't have done it in the first place.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 07:17 PM

More details:

https://www.itv.com/news/border/2021...trict-call-out

ITV Border understands the man has sustained serious spinal injuries and facial fractures and is facing a long recovery and "life changing injuries".

Visibility near the top of Red Screes was poor amid snow flurries and it was very, very cold due to significant wind chill brought in by stronger winds.

Rescuers say the man thinks he slipped, falling 150 meters. The team then had to turn their attention to their more serious casualty, their friend and colleague. HM Coastguard flew in difficult conditions to get the man who remains in a serious but stable condition.

Penrith and the Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue Teams were then called in to assist the original casualty, helping him off the mountain.

The Mountain Rescue Teams say the men "shouldn't have been in the Lake District".

The rescue team did not need to be out that night. A medical emergency like that at home would have been dealt with at home by an ambulance crew not a rescue team which then turned into 3 rescue teams and a helicopter crew so I'm absolutely clear that this was a completely avoidable rescue.
Mike Blakey, Ops lead for the Lake District and Patterdale Mountain Rescue teams
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 08:19 PM

What is it with some people? They put themselves in danger then expect others to rescue them. If the `camper` has a heart condition, why was he up there in the first place?
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 10:24 AM

So that courageous volunteer is worth only £400? It's a disgrace, they should have been fined far more. People hosting parties have been fined £10,000, without putting anyone's life in danger.
I hope and pray the poor man will come through this safely.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:54 PM

What happened to the £800 minimum fine?
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 04:59 PM

this is dreadgul. That poor rescuer, 200 quid? That's an insult yo thevinjured man, they should be getting done and doing time
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 09:51 PM

Breaking the rules in regards to the lockdown is worthy of the fine.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people who want to hike and camp into remote places, but if rescues are on the rise, why not compromise?

Require people to have permits to go into these places - a flight plan that would include who was going, signing off on being healthy enough to go, a day-by-day itinerary and an agreement to carry some sort of tracking device.

Also, require insurance that would cover potential rescues is also not unreasonable.

Permits could be denied or pulled for bad weather, health concerns, or other safety concerns.

I do hope the rescuer heals well and rapidly.

Do volunteers have to complete similar health releases? I realize the injured rescuer's heart was in the right place, but what do we know about how healthy and strong this sixty-year-old was going into the rescue?

As a sixty-year-old runner, I know that I am not as sure-footed as I used to be, especially on scree and in mud!

It sounds like beautiful country; I can understand why it has such a draw!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 11:31 PM

These people are disgusting , that incident has changed the chap who went to rescue him life .
IMO I think these dummies who do these things [knowing full well what they are up to] should be imprisoned , I really & truely mean that, they are scum
Why is it just allowed to carry on !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top