spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 12:01 PM

Spy show share quest

Hi everyone

I like TV spy series

My favorites are

Burn Notice -This show is great as it is not politically correct and it has good humor and very good plotting as there is always the sub-plot going on in every episode. I'm a guy ...so yeah Fiona is nice looking and sharp as a tack I like all these characters Michael, Sam Jesse and Michael's mom:

The Sandbaggers (British) - this is rare and dialogue based cold war stuff....and there really isn't that much action as it is more realistic spy stuff. But the dialogue is intriguing and the guy who plays the lead in MI6 is really a cool dude and very sly. You have to like apologetics a lot in this.

The Unit- I like this similar to why I like Burn Notice...lots of cover -up , covert black ops stuff, and if you have read special operations non-fiction books then you get hooked on it.

I am familiar with series by John LaCarre like "Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "The Night Watchman"

Anything series you can recommend that I am not aware of? I tried The Americans- I lived in Russia and well I'm not convinced that any Russian can speak like a native speaker exactly like one , especially when they trained as a covert when they are older like in their 20's or 30's. Just not buying it.I understand a British being an American but not this. I may be wrong ...but it turns me off.

Chuck the spy guy - not interested

I started watching the series with Patrick MCGoon sp? but haven't continued ...black and white....I forget the name of it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 05:57 PM

Re: Spy show share quest

Originally Posted by spincycle42 ->
Hi everyone

I like TV spy series

My favorites are

Burn Notice -This show is great as it is not politically correct and it has good humor and very good plotting as there is always the sub-plot going on in every episode. I'm a guy ...so yeah Fiona is nice looking and sharp as a tack I like all these characters Michael, Sam Jesse and Michael's mom:

The Sandbaggers (British) - this is rare and dialogue based cold war stuff....and there really isn't that much action as it is more realistic spy stuff. But the dialogue is intriguing and the guy who plays the lead in MI6 is really a cool dude and very sly. You have to like apologetics a lot in this.

The Unit- I like this similar to why I like Burn Notice...lots of cover -up , covert black ops stuff, and if you have read special operations non-fiction books then you get hooked on it.

I am familiar with series by John LaCarre like "Tinker Tailor, Soldier, Spy" and "The Night Watchman"

Anything series you can recommend that I am not aware of? I tried The Americans- I lived in Russia and well I'm not convinced that any Russian can speak like a native speaker exactly like one , especially when they trained as a covert when they are older like in their 20's or 30's. Just not buying it.I understand a British being an American but not this. I may be wrong ...but it turns me off.

Chuck the spy guy - not interested

I started watching the series with Patrick MCGoon sp? but haven't continued ...black and white....I forget the name of it.
Patrick McGoohan, Spincycle, his series was called "The Prisoner". Excellent in its day but, sadly, very jaded by today's standards. The "village" is the village of Port Meirion in Wales.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 06:56 PM

Were you a fan of the Sandbagger series?

What's the actor's name who is the head of station at MI6.....I forgot his name on the show too.....it was set in the 80's wasn't....and it aired then or no?

Can you share any spy novel authors or solo books ....but more cold war stuff or previous to this?

I've read all of Vince Flynn Mitch Rapp and Gabriel Allon Daniel Silva stuff

I tried reading LaCarre but it wasn't easy to follow at times. I think I should try that again. His approach is more subtle ....just very different.

I read Berenson too ...any else you can think of ? cold war or before...

oh yeah....Eye of the Needle......that is a great WWII spy book.
spincycle42
Bangkok, Th.
spincycle42 is male 

14-03-2021, 06:58 PM

by the way... thanks Percy for the name of the spy program and where it was filmed.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top